Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acid Reflux and Primal eating? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Acid Reflux and Primal eating?

Primal Fuel
    I was seriously hoping this would go away with primal eating. However, I still have horrible burps and burning in my throat after I eat. I had been taking OTC Prilosec for awhile, but came off of it because I was trying to come off all medication. I think I'm going to have to go back on. It's almost unbearable, and I'm afraid I'm damaging my esophagus lining. Has anyone had any experience with this? How did you fix it? Thanks!

canio6 Guest
    About a year before going primal I read "Primal Body Primal Mind" by yeah, I don't remember. One thing the author mentioned was that heart burn etc is often caused by a lack of stomach acid and taking anti-acids actually makes it worse. She suggested taking suppliments to increase acid. Not saying it will work for you but something to think about.

I have had heartburn twice since going primal. Both times were after I ate non-primal foods. I'm sorry to hear you are not having similar results.

Are you having caffeine, chocolate, or citrus? These are 3 biggies, that when I gave them up, life becasme much more comfortable. Oh yeah, carbonated is a big one too. Sorry to hear of your problem. I can so relate. I hope it clears up quickly.

rocknroll is offline Senior Member
    I would also recommend looking into the lack of stomach acid problem. I've had friends who have had a lot of luck with that. I don't recall what supplements they took however.
    "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Apple cider vinegar before meals seems to work for me, as Canio6 mentioned, you may need more acid in your stomach.

mcc0523 is offline Junior Member
    Perhaps a Candida overgrowth is contributing to your problems. I was having heartburn problems even after going pb, until I started taking something to kill the yeast (Candex... Pure Essence, Candex - iHerb.com has the best prices I've been able to find). Drinking ACV (organic, raw and unfiltered!!! Not White House distilled) has really helped, as well as eating fermented and/or cultured foods (sour kraut and pickles, kombucha, and occasionally cultured buttermilk mostly).

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    My GERD cleared up within weeks of reducing sugar intake (I did a reduced carb intake for 3 months before I found this site on a crosslink from LewRockwell.com). I was told by my gastroenterologist (at the time) that mine was as bad as he'd ever seen after an upper GI and barium contrast... and was on Prevacid for almost a year before I said to hell with it and stopped taking it. I then simply paid attention to what I ate and took note of symptom occurrence. I discovered that any food dense in sugars (refined ones) triggered it.

Since you're Primal, and therefore refined carbs are already off your menu, you should try the other thing that brought me relief while I was tracking down my triggers: apple cider vinegar. A tablespoon or two of the unfiltered ACV was enough to kill all but the very worst attack.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    When you come off those drugs, the acid reflux is horrible for a while. Don't be tempted to go back on them. It will never end. I was 12 years on them, finally off them after eliminating gluten - but eliminating them wasn't without enduring some pain, unfortunately.

One big thing that helped me is never drinking any liquids immediately before, during, or after a meal. - No diluting of stomach acid.

Three supplements that helped me:

Apple Cider Vinegar in pill form. (Easier on tooth enamel.) I took 2 with every meal.

Enzymedia's Digest Gold digestive enzymes. I took them with every meal.

Renew Life's Heartburn Stop.

Sorry you are dealing with this. I know how horrible it can be. I wish you the best!

freethinkingcavewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    Apple cider vinegar before meals seems to work for me, as Canio6 mentioned, you may need more acid in your stomach.
    My mom does this. Night, and day difference. =)

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I will definitely look into the ACV and some supplements. It's horribly painful as most of you know. I occasionally indulge in a diet carbonated beverage and dark chocolate so that could be triggering it I suppose? I'd hate to give up my dark chocolate tho lol. I have some ACV at home. I will have to start drinking some if I can stomach it and if not the pills I suppose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast