Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working out while Sick? page

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member

Working out while Sick?

Shop Now
    I'm trying to decide whether to work out today or not. I have had a cold since Wednesday and had to work at a Paddling Convention all weekend and travel all day Thursday and Yesterday so besides standing most of the weekend, no exercise. I just don't know if pushing myself while sick is the right thing to do. I am considering push-ups, pull-ups, and Kettle Bell work for a total of about 30 minutes. I get really winded during the kettle bell work. Maybe I should just go for a long walk instead...

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    I vote for the long walk. For me, at least, when I'm sick the important thing is to keep up the routine, not to do my best and most intense workout. Sometimes "sweating it out" feels good, but it partly depends on how much my body is, instead, begging me for rest.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i always work out while i have a cold...i just don't care about numbers so much. but, i will usually go through some lifting heavy things and moving slowly--a walk or exercise bike--and i usually feel better afterward

I'm leaning toward the walk and if I feel better afterward, some heavy things.

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    I'd back off altogether. Last time I worked out when I had a cold, I stressed my immune system so much that I was sick for two weeks afterward.

I may have doddled on the forum too long. It's almost time for me to babysit the grandkids and then it'll be dark when that is over. Procrastination at it's best!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I might be a bit messed up, but being sick pisses me off and that can fuel a workout. I've been known to push myself a little harder when I don't feel good. I draw the line though if I'm exhausted or if I'm just too sick. I don't want to hurt myself.

katekatekoala is offline Junior Member
    I agree with Nick. Better to hunker down, pamper yourself, and get the cold out in a few days than to push your body and possibly drag it out for way longer.When you get sick, you feel bad for a reason. Your body is saying, "Chill!! I need to recover!" And my mom has always, always told me that if you are sick from anything concerning bacteria (like strep throat), never do lots of cardio, because you risk moving the bacteria into your heart, which is bad news.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey if you're sick and not sure whether to work out or not, don't.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    A friend of mine that is a personal trainer says as long as the sickness does not move below your neck, you're safe to workout. Once it moves to your chest or is in your stomach, fagetaboutit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast