Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Sat Fat causes Insulin Resistance?! page

JonnyH is offline Senior Member

High Sat Fat causes Insulin Resistance?!

The more I read the various blogs, threads of differant people, doctors etc. the more I get confused.

I was browsing with interest the 'Oatmeal' thread, as I like oatmeal myself, and there are some links to the the heartscanblog site saying how much oatmeal spikes glucose levels in the blood, all good so far....on searching some other topics on the site I came across the link below regarding how important blood glucose measuring is, the doctor on there goes on in the comments to say that fats, mainly sat fats cause insulin resistance.

The Heart Scan Blog: To get low-carb right, you need to check blood sugars

Any thoughts on this? I get more confused each day the more I read!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    It's true. Palmitic acid does cause temporary insulin resistance. It is actually good and necessary if you're eating low carb. Please read the article linked below for a good explanation:
    Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance and palmitic acid again

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    I'm getting confused as well, but I don't buy into the CW regarding saturated fat and whole grains. I only need to look around in the street. Take a look at anyone over forty and chances are they'll be obese, pre-diabetic, with poor skin and arthritic joints.

..Generations of people afraid of saturated fat, indulging on the whole grains, and now the health services are overloaded with all the casualties.

No, I don't believe the CW for a minute

js290 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    It's true. Palmitic acid does cause temporary insulin resistance. It is actually good and necessary if you're eating low carb. Please read the article linked below for a good explanation:
    Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance and palmitic acid again
    Thanks for link, good info by the looks of it, I'll have a good read when I have more time.

Thanks for links, I read the dr Rosedale one this morning as it was linked on another thread, interesting that he does indeed cite sugar as causing insulin resistance, but he recommends a low sat fat diet, mainly getting fats form fish and nuts.

Just been reading through the 'card refeeding' thread on here, and on one post the authour quotes:
    'in both a low fat or high fat diet with carbohydrate restriction, the brain will "turn on" insulin resistance in the muscles in order to spare some glucose for the brain since the brain would like some glucose to go along with the ketones. He says this is very different from insulin resistance caused by over-eating carbs -- this is the pathogenic kind that you don't want'

Sounds like this type of IR is good!

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    Most people over forty are obese and have other conditions because of their lifestyle....they eat fast food...they emotional eat....they eat when they are bored.....not because they follow the SAD. Food has become entertainment instead of being used as a fuel source. The calories and ingredients of food have changed drastically from 50 years ago. A standard slice of bread 50 years ago would have 40 calories and be water, flour, yeast. Today, the standard slice has 200 calories and full of corn starch and other chemicals. Along with this, portion size has gone up. This is why they are obese. None of these people are following the SAD no matter what the statistics say (the participants all lie).

Ever been to a "unhealthy" restaurant like TGIF or Chillys on a friday night? People start with appetizers that are over 2000 calories, then they move to the main course that is over 2000 calories, then the move to desert than is over 2000 calories. Even the drinks contain over 2000 calories. All of the choices are covered with some kind of cheese sauce.

It has nothing to do with whole grains or SAD. I highly doubt that anyone that strictly follows the SAD will have any issues. Ancient civilizations have been eating whole grains just fine without these modern problems.
    Last edited by mwok86; 03-28-2011 at 11:00 AM.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    That's right Jonny. If your muscles and other tissues didn't become insulin resistant when you're eating low carb, you would become hypoglycemic. We all know that hypoglycemia can be bad (real bad, can cause coma -> death if it's bad enough). Your body is smart; it knows what to do (well, in most cases, some diseases aside). You just have to treat it right!

Barb is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by mwok86 View Post
    It has nothing to do with whole grains or SAD. I highly doubt that anyone that strictly follows the SAD will have any issues. Ancient civilizations have been eating whole grains just fine without these modern problems.
    So, mwok, if you believe this, what exactly are you doing on this primal forum?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast