Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Exercises for Abs page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Best Exercises for Abs

I just put up a new blog (article and video!) about my favorite exercises for abs.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Al, I've been looking for ways to go beyond level 4 of PBF planks since ups & downs are too difficult for my arms to handle.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm loving L-sits lately. i try to do a good 10-20 second hold hanging from my pull up bar whenever i walk by...and now i can feel the effect on my abs pretty much all day

Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Thanks Al, I've been looking for ways to go beyond level 4 of PBF planks since ups & downs are too difficult for my arms to handle.
    i have a similar situation...the ups and downs are easy on my abs, but my arms are pretty fatigued in my second cycle. i'm just getting to the point where i can do the ups and downs for the whole 90 seconds, so i think i might just throw myself ahead to the next level and see if it's a little more friendly on the arms.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Nice article!! Coincidentally I'm trying to work my way up to hanging leg raises. My training buddy told me to do the progression the way that you recommend, with knees kind of tucked, and I wasn't sure about it (since it feels like it engages my hip flexors a LOT which feels like cheating for abs) but I feel better knowing that you recommend it too

I also love any kind of asymmetric exercises for training ab stability, like suitcase deadlifts and 1-arm KB snatches. I tend to do stuff like that instead of planks these days because even the more difficult plank variations (i.e. feet elevated on a bosu ball) are pretty easy for me. Also I like weighted chin-ups (light DB between my feet) for upper abs (like where the rectus abdominis inserts into the xiphoid process), it's the ONLY exercise I've found that hits that part of the muscle.

I'm so inspired by your site, it makes me want to do more bodyweight exercises!! Inspired to keep working on hanging leg raises for sure
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

PBF is great but it's not the only effective program out there. It's good to mix it up!

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i'm loving L-sits lately. i try to do a good 10-20 second hold hanging from my pull up bar whenever i walk by...and now i can feel the effect on my abs pretty much all day
    Nice! 20 seconds is a pretty serious hold - you should try the L-sit on the ground. Start with parellettes before you do it on your hands (the way I do it in the video is harder than it looks!).

Quote Originally Posted by erica057 View Post
    Nice article!! Coincidentally I'm trying to work my way up to hanging leg raises. My training buddy told me to do the progression the way that you recommend, with knees kind of tucked, and I wasn't sure about it (since it feels like it engages my hip flexors a LOT which feels like cheating for abs) but I feel better knowing that you recommend it too

I also love any kind of asymmetric exercises for training ab stability, like suitcase deadlifts and 1-arm KB snatches. I tend to do stuff like that instead of planks these days because even the more difficult plank variations (i.e. feet elevated on a bosu ball) are pretty easy for me. Also I like weighted chin-ups (light DB between my feet) for upper abs (like where the rectus abdominis inserts into the xiphoid process), it's the ONLY exercise I've found that hits that part of the muscle.

I'm so inspired by your site, it makes me want to do more bodyweight exercises!! Inspired to keep working on hanging leg raises for sure
    Thank you! Btw, I saw your Primal Blueprint success story the other day - congrats! You are quite the inspiration yourself!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    PBF is great but it's not the only effective program out there. It's good to mix it up!
    I plan to mix it up more, but I first want to reach level 4 fitness levels for all PBF exercises and to be able to do both cycles in under 30 minutes. I've come a long way in three months, I think I might be able to get to that level by mid-year as long as I don't injure myself.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Thank you! Btw, I saw your Primal Blueprint success story the other day - congrats! You are quite the inspiration yourself!
    Thanks! Glad that my getting punched in the face repeatedly has inspired someone, haha!
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Was expecting to see some rollouts :P any thoughts on why you didn't include em?

I plan to mix it up more, but I first want to reach level 4 fitness levels for all PBF exercises and to be able to do both cycles in under 30 minutes. I've come a long way in three months, I think I might be able to get to that level by mid-year as long as I don't injure myself.
    Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by erica057 View Post
    Thanks! Glad that my getting punched in the face repeatedly has inspired someone, haha!
    Inspired many I'm sure.

But you do it for the love of the sport, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    Was expecting to see some rollouts :P any thoughts on why you didn't include em?
    Rollouts are a good exercise, but I don't do them much. I tend to blog about things that I have gotten results from personally. I also tend to prefer pure bodyweight stuff (although I do use a stability ball for one of the plank variations in the video).

But I can totally grant the argument to include rollouts. They certainly fit with the general theme of my post.

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    great post al as always.
    what about the obliques?
    side planks, any other good ones for us?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast