Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Intensity Training & Bball in the same day, Pb tips plz page

Dwierck is offline Junior Member

High Intensity Training & Bball in the same day, Pb tips plz

Primal Fuel
    I need some suggestions regarding my Pb and training regiment. I am doing some very high intensity training 4 times a week and playing basketball at least 4 games a week. These days obviously overlap and I am having a very difficult time with energy levels all while following the Pb guidelines. Any suggestions?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i would suggest eating more carbs. i used to lift heavy a few hours before soccer games, and a sweet potato or some squash worked wonders in helping keep my energy up. .

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Sleep and eat more - vitamin D, magnesium, zinc. Mostly sleep more.
    ad astra per aspera

capt46f3 is offline Member
    What high intensity training are you doing 4 times a week? How long do you play basketball each time 4 days a week? What is your diet? How old are you? How much do you weigh? How many calories are you eating? How many carbs do you eat, and how many around training? As mentioned, how much do you sleep?

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I do hill sprints once per week, track sprint sessions once per week, and full court basketball for a league once a week. The sprinting isn't too bad but when I end the week with full court basketball that normally just wipes me out. I have done it all pretty low carb. I have had better results when I incorporate some sweet potatos or rice before my basketball games. I am considering just doing one sprint session at the beginning of the week and then doing my basketball league on the weekends just to spread things out. I just think it is so easy to over do the high intensity workouts which can result in too much inflammation.

Just some background on me. I am pretty lean and I am not trying to lose weight, I am actually trying to gain a little but overall just stay as is. My basketball games last roughly 2 hours. My sprint sessions at the track are normally 4 x 400's, 4 x 200's and 4 x 100's. My hill sprints are normally about 20-25 minutes long and I go for roughly 3 miles in distance. The other days I lift weights, do pull-ups, pushups, and a lot of walking.
    Last edited by Balance; 03-30-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    why are you doing HIIT 4 days a week?
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    why are you doing HIIT 4 days a week?
    Yeah that is a good question. That is a lot for almost everyone. I do one sprint session a week and one very brief but very intense weight training session a week. I am active the rest of the week with various things and that changes all the time. The results have been spectacular! When I attempt to do more than this or try and combine workouts etc. I almost always eventually feel completely exhausted as a result. Remember the whole idea of exercise is to sterngthen and energize the body. If you are walking around exhausted on a regular basis, you are most definitley over doing it. More is NOT better. The right amount and no more than that is the ticket. Anything more is a negative and the more the worse a negative it is.

You are doing an extreme amount IMO. This has to be something you can sustain for the long haul and there is no way that you could with that protocol.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Yeah that is a good question. That is a lot for almost everyone. I do one sprint session a week and one very brief but very intense weight training session a week. I am active the rest of the week with various things and that changes all the time. The results have been spectacular! When I attempt to do more than this or try and combine workouts etc. I almost always eventually feel completely exhausted as a result. Remember the whole idea of exercise is to sterngthen and energize the body. If you are walking around exhausted on a regular basis, you are most definitley over doing it. More is NOT better. The right amount and no more than that is the ticket. Anything more is a negative and the more the worse a negative it is.

You are doing an extreme amount IMO. This has to be something you can sustain for the long haul and there is no way that you could with that protocol.
    I disagree. OP keep on kicking butt! Enjoy using your body to be active and have fun! Just support your recovery with proper nutrition, sleep and supplementation
    ad astra per aspera

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    I disagree. OP keep on kicking butt! Enjoy using your body to be active and have fun! Just support your recovery with proper nutrition, sleep and supplementation
    yeah.... I like my body and I want it to like me back
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Dwierck is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In reply to why would I train high intensity 4 times a week, a close friend is at a professional level of sports and he has asked me to be his training partner, simply push him as it's needed and allow him to have someone to compete with. I also really enjoy it.

I'm a 31 year old guy 6'3" 200 lbs, play Bball games 4 times a week at an hour each. Unfortunately my sleep patterns are less then adequate due to my career, I get to bed about 3am and wake about 930am.

I've started eating more avocados and nuts throughout the day which has seemed to help a bit, but over the past week I've also noticed body fat just falling off, so all the hard work is paying off. thx for all the responses!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast