Thread: A minor triumph, and a shift in thinking page

ElaineC is offline Senior Member

Cool A minor triumph, and a shift in thinking

Primal Fuel
    I'm just getting over a Fibro flare, a fairly bad one. These tend to bring me pretty low, and this one had me feeling pretty sorry for myself. Today I finally felt decent, went for a great ride on the most patient horse in the world, and had enough energy to go grocery shopping. I even parked in regular parking, and not handicapped parking (ok, it was only a couple over, but I still did it!).

Shop shop shop. My fridge is bare, so I had quite a bit of restocking to do. Bacon was on sale, always a good thing, found some turkey thighs for less than $2/lb, eggs, cream, frozen berries, you guys know the drill. Anyways, I started getting a bit stressy about money and how much I was about to spend, and how long would it last etc. It came to a peak at the checkout, and then the lightbulb turned on.

I deserve this. I deserve to eat this well. Everything on the belt was healthy, whole and primal, and more than reasonable in price. And I really deserve to live this way.

This for me is HUGE! I tend to beat myself up at every moment possible, especially when it comes to food, health, and money. I realized that sure, something may cost more than I think I can pay, but its still cheaper per meal to eating fast food or some of the other garbage I used to justify in my head.

I deserve to eat well. Feeling better is my right. I can regain control of my health, and manage it. I will get healthier, and dammit, I deserve to.

Go me

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    ::: applause :::

Yes, we DO deserve this!

Funny how I wouldn't hesitate to drop by the fast food drive-thru then head up the road to the Starbucks drive-thru. Between the two, I'm out probably $10-12. And that's just one meal. (And when I was eating like this, I'd have "second breakfast," too!) But then I wanna wince at grass-fed beef at $5.99/lb. and $2.79 for a can of good coconut milk?

I am soooo jealous of you riding a horse! It's one of my big rehab motivations and goals (that, and snowboarding). Congrats on the no handicapped parking. BTDT, and I know it's a pretty big deal and such a great feeling .... a measure of healing and moving on to better things.

Cheers.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    ::: applause :::

Funny how I wouldn't hesitate to drop by the fast food drive-thru then head up the road to the Starbucks drive-thru. Between the two, I'm out probably $10-12. And that's just one meal. (And when I was eating like this, I'd have "second breakfast," too!) But then I wanna wince at grass-fed beef at $5.99/lb. and $2.79 for a can of good coconut milk?
    Exactly! It would hit me as I paid for lunch at a drive thru, that I could have bought a good roast for the same amount of money. Its just bizarre how we can justify an expense in one way, and something that is better for us, with the same cost, seems to be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    I am soooo jealous of you riding a horse! It's one of my big rehab motivations and goals (that, and snowboarding). Congrats on the no handicapped parking. BTDT, and I know it's a pretty big deal and such a great feeling .... a measure of healing and moving on to better things.

Cheers.
    I tell ya, don't let things stop you from doing what you want to do! You can always find a way. People look at me when I say I ride and you can see they are thinking "poor horse". Well, I found a horse that makes me feel like a kid again. He's my legs, and we can go through woods and out for a long hike, and he carries me and keeps me safe. He's a 2000lb draft horse that is close to 6' at the base of his neck, and 12'+ long from nose to tail. He's also patient, smart, and alot of fun. I tell people who can't ride but want to be with horses to take up driving, its their company that is so amazing and if you can't sling a leg over, hook up behind. Even just going out driving with someone else, and helping them get the horses ready and afterwards put away is incredibly rewarding.