Thread: Steep Inclines page

Raphaella is offline Senior Member

Steep Inclines

Shop Now
    I like to go for walks on the (extremely steep)hills in my neighborhood and I was wondering; what is the best posture/alignment/form/whatever for the movement? On steep inclines I guess it's instinctive to take longer, digging strides and to lean forward with the upper body but I read once that for a more effective workout that you should take shorter steps and should keep your body pretty vertical to the ground/not lean forward. Do you think that's correct?

simodalcais is offline Senior Member
    I always lean a bit forward but when I'm walking uphill I take long easy strides and when I'm running uphill ( or up steps ) I take short strides with a high knee action , it really fries my legs ....pretty sure that trying to stay vertical would take a lot of the drive out of it

Raphaella is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simodalcais View Post
    when I'm running uphill ( or up steps ) I take short strides with a high knee action , it really fries my legs
    Good idea... once I get to where I don't feel like I'm about to pass out at the top I'm gonna start doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesselyn View Post
    If you are not leaning forward somewhat...wouldn't you be risking falling backwards on a very steep incline?
    I would assume so....it sure does feel dangerous when I do it lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesselyn View Post
    hey, you could just claw your way up! lol.
    Good idea heehee!

gordo is offline Senior Member
    We've got a steep hill near our house. 2000 vertical feet in less than a mile. It gets really steep at the halfway point, which is at the one-third point in time/effort. Think about a steep staircase with steps ranging from 6" to 24".

The most efficient way to go up is to lean forward and put your hands on your knees and help your quads with your arms.

The way I prefer to go up is to keep perfect posture and make each step a step-up. That works my glutes and hammies and lets me practice good posture under adverse conditions. It costs me about 15%, time-wise. But I'm not doing it for time.

Pick your poison.

Gordo

dasher is offline Junior Member
    focus on contracting your abs and let your legs do whatever they need to do to get up the hill. If your core is locked on then it is perfectly fine to lean a bit forward. Walking inclines is a fantastic core workout!!