Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gym Classes: Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, Kickboxing, Tai Chi? page

StarCharm is offline Member

Gym Classes: Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, Kickboxing, Tai Chi?

Primal Fuel
    My gym offers several group classes. I am considering picking one or two classes up.
    They offer:

Zumba
    Pilates
    Yoga
    Kickboxing
    Tai Chi.

At this point I'm looking for the class that best fits the Primal lifestyle, non necessarily the "most fun". Which of these classes would you say fits best into Primal Fitness? What about the least?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Not sure whether our ideas of Primal Lifestyle are the same or not but I'd probably vote for Kickboxing - it has the least structure, is high intensity, develops power and agility and will teach you to fight (defend your cave?).

barefootmama is offline Member
    I'd vote Zumba. Dance is primal, right?

Why not pick something fun? What's the point of being dogmatic about a "primal lifestyle" if it's a chore and you can't stick with it?

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Tai chi is great for moving slowly, improving balance and can really strengthen your legs because of its stances. I do tai chi in the mornings. I also take a TRX suspension class and a BodyPump class for part of my lifting heavy things. Not exactly primal but I enjoy the classes and they give me the structure I need. I'd put Zumba in the play category which is fine.
    Last edited by Lynna; 03-28-2011 at 04:43 AM.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I vote yoga. For my experience with gym kickbox classes, it's an hour-long cardio fest and you'll be craving carbs like there's no tomorrow the rest of the day.

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Kickboxing! Or better yet Mixed MA, Korean Kuk Sool Won. Martial Arts, if trained properly, will have portions of yoga (stretching, toning) as well as kicking, punching, joint manipulation and judo as well as ground work (that was the Kuk Sool Won I trained in back in the 80s in Korea, great stuff). The key for any exercise plan (IMHO) is focus! Don't let your body get out of control... focus! and you can still have fun! Gotta have fun everyday!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Having fun IS being Primal.

I've tried almost all of those. Yoga and Pilates practically put me to sleep. Kick-boxing was repetitive and boring. Zumba was lots of fun and a major challenge to not hip-bounce the other dancers into the wall. Never tried Tai Chi.

I'm sure they all vary depending on the instructor. As a challenge, I would pick something that varies greatly from the rest of your fitness routine.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Everyone has an opinion on this and no one can tell you what YOU should do. Moving around at a slow pace and sprinting are both primal, so each of those can fit in to PB.

I absolutely adore Yoga and Pilates because I have arthritis, severe scoliosis, and some other physical issues. I am often in pain. Yoga and Pilates have helped me a lot. It really depends on YOU, what you like, what shape you are in, and what you are comfortable with.

Some folks may ridicule Yoga and Pilates, but I think that both of them fall under the PB category of moving around at a slow pace, so I'm good with that. And unless you do them for a while, you really don't know what they are all about.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I did an intermediate power yoga class in a heated room yesterday and it was NOT slow or easy and my legs and upper back are destroyed.

I'd say try them all and see which you like. They will vary greatly depending on the instructor.

I would also recommend doing at least 1 day of dedicated strength training and 1 day of sprints. Fill the rest with those classes as you see fit.

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    I'd say try them all and see which you like. They will vary greatly depending on the instructor.
    ^^ THIS - try them all and figure out what YOU like. Actually all of the ones you listed are fun and a good workout to me.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast