Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plateau Frustration! page

Leanne_R is offline Member

Plateau Frustration!

Shop Now
    I started this journey at the beginning of last December as intestinal issues prompted me to go gluten-free. I came across Cordain's book and went cold turkey on SAD at the end of December. Even with copious amounts of nuts and fruits, the weight fell off--a breath of fresh air for my health and body! A trainer at my gym directed me to MDA and I fell in love with the primal approach--more than just a way of eating. I decided to fine tune my diet, learning that nuts and fruit are not the best for weight loss. I have also started tracking on fitday. Ironically, it seems since I became more structured about this, and even dropped chronic cardio, I also hit a plateau in both inches/weight. I am 5'9", 177lbs, fairly active (walks, occasional sprints, training) and randomly IF, usually no more than 16 hours. I have lost 30 pounds so far and its hard for me to believe the 2 ounces of cheese I have would slow (halt) my weight loss more than 8 ounces of nuts I have since cut out. (so addictive)

Anyway, aside from this silly little plateau my life has done a complete 180. Food is medicine. I'm convinced.

I would appreciate any advice!

Leanne_R is offline Member
    Meant to give the link to my fitday: RiddleLeanne - free online diet and fitness journal

js290 is offline Senior Member

MozartNH99 is offline Junior Member
    I've plateaued too. I lost 14 pounds my first three weeks (probably water weight), but I've since gained three of those pounds back. My problem is, I simply ingest more calories than I burn off with activity. I have a desk job, so it's difficult at times. When I get home at 4pm, the last thing I want to do is ten sets of burpees or walk a couple of miles. My job isn't physically exhausting, but boy can it be mentally exhausting! All I eat are eggs, grass-fed beef, fish, and chopped veggies.

I just have to bite the bullet and start exercising regularly.

I'm sorry I don't have much advice for you; I'm venting my frustrations, too. I guess the only advice I can give is this: Diet will shape your body quite a bit, but there becomes a point where physical exertion needs to take it to the next level. Perhaps both of us need to exercise more.

Best of luck to you.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I would cut back on your calories.

Quote Originally Posted by MozartNH99 View Post
    I've plateaued too. I lost 14 pounds my first three weeks (probably water weight), but I've since gained three of those pounds back. My problem is, I simply ingest more calories than I burn off with activity... I just have to bite the bullet and start exercising regularly.
    That sounds pretty superstitious...

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I would cut back on your calories.
    How is that going to affect hormones?

Sue
    If Leanne doesn't achieve a caloric deficit (however she does it) there won't be any weight loss. When she lost the 30 pounds she went gluten-free and must have without thinking about it lowered calories too. Also just the act of going gluten-free contributed to the weight loss. She mentions that nuts and fruit were in the diet and she still lost. Maybe when fruit was taken out of diet it was replaced with foods with higher caloric content and it upped the amount of calories consumed. I think if she adjusts her calories weight loss should start happening again. Obviously don't know for sure but that's my opinion.
    Last edited by Sue; 03-27-2011 at 08:40 PM.

If she doesn't achieve a caloric deficit (however she does it)
    You may have the causality reversed.

there won't be any weight loss.
    Fat or lean?

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this link js290.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Sue
    Obviously fat loss is what we want.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast