Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plateau Frustration! page 3

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the middle of reading water weight thing have to stop to pick up kids from school - you should read it.
    You are quite active so a few pieces of fruit would be okay I think. Also, if you do well at eating 80-100g carbs you should go back to it.

Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    How do a calories get converted into body mass (fat and lean)?
    Tell me your reason why you believe calories don't count at all?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Tell me your reason why you believe calories don't count at all?
    When does your body actually burn the calories you consume? How did paleo man count calories? I think the burden of proof is on you on why you believe they do.

Leanne_R is offline Member
    The water weight thing is very interesting. I noticed that my once a week "cheat" meals seemed to keep me going both mentally and physically. I also bumped up my carbs yesterday and the scale was back to normal this morning. It's interesting that the things I thought would speed up weigh loss may have been holding me back... Being able to snack on things like baby carrots and blueberries probably kept my calories at bay, and even with higher carb content it was hard to break 80 grams-- I have been missing my daily grapefruit! Also haven't been waking up with dairy caused phlegm, probably a symptom that my body just isn't a huge fan of even an ounce of dairy.

mummybeelee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MozartNH99 View Post
    I've plateaued too. I lost 14 pounds my first three weeks (probably water weight), but I've since gained three of those pounds back. My problem is, I simply ingest more calories than I burn off with activity. I have a desk job, so it's difficult at times. When I get home at 4pm, the last thing I want to do is ten sets of burpees or walk a couple of miles. My job isn't physically exhausting, but boy can it be mentally exhausting! All I eat are eggs, grass-fed beef, fish, and chopped veggies.

I just have to bite the bullet and start exercising regularly.
    Is there any way you can convert your desk to a standing work station? Simply standing instead of sitting makes me feel so much better. I often raise my screen, stick my mouse on a box and pop my stepper in front of my desk so I am active while I am online. If you look around, there are a few different solution people have found for making their work desk a standing one or even incorporating a treadmill. It takes getting used to at first but well worth a try imo
    Bee
    Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
    Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
    My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Sue

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    When does your body actually burn the calories you consume? How did paleo man count calories? I think the burden of proof is on you on why you believe they do.
    Whatever!

Didn't you just post in a thread that probably good idea to limit saturated fat if FAT loss is your goal?
    "Most of us have plenty of stored saturated fats. No need to ingest extra, particularly during the transition phase. My guess is if someone is trying to lean out, limiting saturated fats may be useful. Let the body metabolize its own saturated fat stores."
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26784-2.html

Rather than count calories easier to portion control.
    Last edited by Sue; 03-28-2011 at 04:43 PM.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Whatever!
    Exactly Sue! Here is why I believe that calories count. If I eat too many, I gain fat. It's that simple. It doesn't matter where they come from, fat, carbs or protein. Yes, lower carb makes it easier and more satisfying to eat less, but you still have to eat less. Yes, I know, there are some people out there that have hormonal issues and metabolism issues(which normally are related to hormones). I believe they are not the average person, but that's my opinion. I foolishly used to follow the, "Eat More, you are starving. It will boost your metabolism.", only to gain even more fat.

For Mozart that posted above, I used to work a desk job too. If you sit down all day long, then you have to dramatically decrease your caloric intake. You burn very little sitting all day and then going home and sitting some more. Either you eat less or become more active, or do both and really see the fat come off.

Oh, and how did Paleo man do it? He was very likely in a constant state of near starvation. Who knew when the next meal would come? Maybe tomorrow, maybe 3-4 days, maybe sometimes a few weeks for a real, satisfying catch. That was true intermittent fasting that none of us can really understand.
    Last edited by john_e_turner_ii; 03-28-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Sue
    Thanks John. I believe there are a lot of people with hormonal and metabolism issues and low carb is the best for them. Some can lose FAT (make sure I say fat and not weight in case someone thinks I'm talking about losing lean tissue) just eating low carb while not being concerned with calories others need to keep an eye on their calories as well.

Yeh, can you imagine paleo man counting calories!!
    Last edited by Sue; 03-28-2011 at 04:55 PM.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Leanne - It sounds like you are generally on the right track. If you're feeling energetic and your clothes are fitting better, then what does it matter if the scale wiggles up or down a little in the short term? You know this way of eating is best for you in the long run, right?

Leanne_R is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been a bit lenient with the fat lately. I noticed this plateau started creeping up when I purchased pastured butter and coconut oil. Maybe I just need to give my body a chance to burn stored fat? I have been averaging 60% of cals from fat which seems to be typical for a PBer. Maybe this will be a maintenance percentage but I definitely lost more with the leaner choices and was able to get enough grams of protein in before over doing it on calories.
    @Diane—yes, clothes are fitting better and I am feeling better overall! Definitely the most important things, just wasn’t sure if a plateau was a symptom of something else. My thought process was “Why must my measurements be so darn stubborn when I am feeding my body what it needs?” Just trying to make sure I really am feeding it what it needs, or what it wants

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast