Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plateau Frustration! page 2

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Can you summarise in a couple of sentences what you want the readers to take away from those two articles you linked. That would be good as I haven't got time to read them. Though I probably read the Eades one - read everything he posts.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbadok View Post
    Thanks for this link js290.
    Actually, I found it from another thread here, so I can't take the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Obviously fat loss is what we want.
    One's ability to burn fat is completely controlled by hormones. How does calories, a measure of heat, affect one's hormones, particularly insulin and leptin?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    1. Most folks easily have a calorie deficit when starting a low carb (Primal) diet, so they lose easily, but start unconsciously adding Primal "treats" and end up not having a calorie deficit, so they plateau.

2. A carb refeed can help boost water (weight) loss if you've been on a low carb diet for awhile. (I suspect that magnesium supplementation could help as well.)

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    1. Most folks easily have a calorie deficit when starting a low carb (Primal) diet, so they lose easily, but start unconsciously adding Primal "treats" and end up not having a calorie deficit, so they plateau.

2. A carb refeed can help boost water (weight) loss if you've been on a low carb diet for awhile. (I suspect that magnesium supplementation could help as well.)
    Thanks Dragonfly. I agree with number 1. Possibly no. 2 - will just have to go and read that link. Thanks again.

JS290, as a low carber I believe in creating the optimal hormonal environment to encourage FAT loss but caloric deficit is involved in the end.
    Last edited by Sue; 03-27-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Leanne_R is offline Member
    My 30 lb weight loss came after adopting Paleo. I had a hunch that it was calories, but all those BMR (how ever accurate those are) calculations showed me burning around 2500 cals a day. I don't want to get sucked into the calories in calories out mindset but I feel even on my 2,000 cal days I should have at least seen a pound or two loss in the last month... as much as I love eating fat, it's frustrating to see much of my "allowance" taken up by olive oil and butter. Maybe I will go back to my Paleo ways for a couple weeks, focus on leaner meats, and see where that takes me.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    How do you feel? Could you have put on a few lbs of muscle? How do your clothes fit? How is your sleep quality? I sometimes find that a major pig out meal or two (meat and veggies with maybe a little starch) of more than I would normally consume, tends to jump start things again. Not sure of the science here. And, yeah, at some point, we all need to increase our workouts/activity, not sure how active you are, sorry if I missed it!

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    Paleo tends to be lower in actual calories if you eat to satiety...have you ever looked at Cordains "sample menu" for the nutritional breakdown for a female? I eat a LOT and that would have me skipping a few meals a day..fewer calories because of the lack of added fat...I feel better, and my gallbladder and skin are happier with the fat, and I am more pleasant to be around. But I skip lots of meals because I only eat when I am actually hungry..but when I eat, bring it on!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    JS290, as a low carber I believe in creating the optimal hormonal environment to encourage FAT loss but caloric deficit is involved in the end.
    How do a calories get converted into body mass (fat and lean)?

Leanne_R is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Since doing away with the CW about breakfast, I find that I don't get hungry until aroun 3 or 4pm. The Paleo food list (not so much the food plan) was helpful because I wasn't tempted toward foods like bacon and dairy, which may be leading me astray :/ I LOVE fat, but I find even 2 or 3 tbsp of coconut oil still leaves me hungry. I could easily eat way more than 2,000 calories a day but even my trainer was saying I should keep it to 1,600, which is heartbreaking I'm wondering if I am too low carb, most of my weight loss occurred in the 80-100 gram zone. Just thought ditching the fruits and nuts would speed things up a bit. Also curious about the water weight thing... Paleo stresses low salt, but I started ignoring that when I came across MDA... Thanks for the help!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast