Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Swimming/Chlorine page

Docter is offline Member

Regarding Swimming/Chlorine

Primal Fuel
    This isn't an absolute fitness question, sort of a tangent.

I've been soap-free for 3 months until today, where I went to swim laps in a chlorinated pool.

My question is, how do you primal folk deal with washing the chemicals off you? Is water enough or should I concoct a baking soda type soap. (shampoo as well).

Using fresh water is not an option. (Edit: SWIMMING in fresh water is not an option. I have access to a shower ;]).

Also, are there any long-term studies of chlorine on human health? I'd be curious to read them

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    it will dry your skin and your hair can turn green if you don't at least rinse it off

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I had to quit swimming in a chlorinated pool because it was affecting my breathing. I've heard that Citric Acid (i.e. vitamin C) works well for removing chlorine from the body. I haven't tried it.

Bacchanal is offline Junior Member
    A couple tips I found over at Beyond Shampoo:

-Try 'oiling' your hair with olive oil or something similar before swimming
    -Rinsing hair with club soda after swimming
    -Rinsing hair and skin with diluted citric acid or ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) after swimming
    -Rinsing with lemon juice after swimming

For more in-depth explanations or descriptions of the methods, you can read the original page over at How do I get the cholorinated pool water buildup out of my hair without shampoo? - Beyond Shampoo

I don't know if that'll help any but I guess you could try some of these if no other options present themselves. I don't know how easy it is to rinse out chlorine with just water, or if it's even really feasible at all. Sorry.

Swimmer is offline Junior Member

Rinsing with Vitamin C Eliminates Chlorine after Swimming

I have studied this topic quite a bit. Chlorine sticks to hair and skin, making it difficult to remove. So, you smell like the pool for hours or even days after swimming.
    Rinsing with vitamin C (ascorbic acid, NOT citric acid) gets the chlorine off of your hair and skin. The best and easiest way to apply vitamin C is SwimSpray. See www.SwimSpray.com

dado Guest
    do you smell bad, without soap for so long?

adamm is offline Senior Member
    May I ask why you went soap free?

--Me

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    do you smell bad, without soap for so long?
    Going without soap doesn't cause any undue smells as long as you don't have a crappy diet (in which case the soap doesn't usually help that much anyway) and you wash in clean water regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    May I ask why you went soap free?
    I'm not the OP but I went soap free as an experiment originally, and never found a reason to go back. I just wash off in cool or warm water depending on my preference. I don't smell any ore or less than I used to and it makes my showers quicker and easier. Also soap often left my skin with an odd dry feeling, or itchiness, which I rarely if ever experience now. And my keratosis pilaris has improved too. I do shower every morning and I use a Thai deodorant stone afterward.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

phatgirl18 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
    I have studied this topic quite a bit. Chlorine sticks to hair and skin, making it difficult to remove. So, you smell like the pool for hours or even days after swimming.
    Rinsing with vitamin C (ascorbic acid, NOT citric acid) gets the chlorine off of your hair and skin. The best and easiest way to apply vitamin C is SwimSpray. See www.SwimSpray.com

This is also my choice!

troylee is offline Junior Member
    This isn't an absolute fitness question, sort of a tangent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast