Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body odor. page

tarek is offline Senior Member

Body odor.

Primal Fuel
    I've really been reaping the benefits of PB/Paleo-styled eating since I started a year ago -- more energy, building muscle easier, etc. The only thing that's been bothering me lately is body odor. It's not unbearable or anything, but it's definitely noticeable, even within a few hours after showering. I only use natural soaps, and I definitely don't overdo them. I've tried using coconut oil topically, as well as various natural deodorants (including salt crystals), but they're not very effective. The only thing that made a noticeable difference was drinking wheat grass juice, but again, it wasn't 100% effective. I'd love to continue doing that, but it's a little pricey. I've seriously cut back on garlic, cumin, and onions; I eat them maybe once a week at most. Here's what I eat in a day (usually a little more if I workout):

-Breakfast: 3 eggs cooked in butter with 1/2 avocado, 1/2 pound of ground beef/lamb/bison, 1/2 cup of coconut milk

-Snack: 40g of 85% dark chocolate

-Dinner: around 1 pound of meat (usually beef, a little more if I've worked out), 1-2 medium potatoes (if I've worked out), 1 cup of blueberries in coconut milk

I occasionally have poultry, but not too often, as I'm not really a fan of it. I would eat more fish, but it's pricey, and I'm trying to put on muscle, so red meat usually wins. As far as spices/oils go, I use the following almost daily: butter, olive oil, coconut oil, rosemary, thyme, sage, marjoram, basil, oregano, black pepper, cinnamon, and sea salt. I drink coffee two or three times a week AT MOST. I've read on a lot of natural health sites that red meat and eggs both cause body odor, but I don't know what to make of that. Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks guys!

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    don't know what's causing it, although toxin release comes to mind. I don't know much about that sort of thing though...

I use hand sanitizer for the underarm area. Works well for me.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    I'd be interested in hearing some solutions for this problem as well. I wouldn't call it an odor, but I've noticed a much stronger smell surrounding me since going primal. I'd have to shower like three times a day to completely keep it at bay. Deodorant helps some but not completely. I assumed it just kind of came with the territory when eating stronger, more nutrient-dense foods and spices instead of empty starches, but there's not much talk about it around here and I was beginning to worry. It's not a horrible or super strong smell or anything, but it's not one I'd like lingering on me either.

I've had to cut way back on onions and garlic which is a shame because I really love them. I've also noticed that beef makes me smell... beefy. :\

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbadok View Post
    don't know what's causing it, although toxin release comes to mind.
    Yeah, that's what I've read. A lot of people in the alternative medicine crowd seem to be of the opinion that red meat and eggs both "release toxins into the bloodstream." I have no idea how much validity there is to that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Styrofoam Jones View Post
    It's not a horrible or super strong smell or anything, but it's not one I'd like lingering on me either.
    Agreed!

goodangels is offline Senior Member
    I second bokbadok's recommendation of hand sanitizer. Apply the gel after washing. My son uses it on his pits (and feet) when they get smelly. Really works. Good luck!

Supersonic is offline Member
    Theories: by eating like our ancestors, our sense of smell is becoming more sensitive. Maybe it is returning to a level we were born with, but stifled or impaired by the typical modern western diet. Or, thanks to our ancestral based diet, we could be emitting this odor as part of a natural mechanism to help attract a mate.
    "You can have it all, but how much do you want it?"

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis can cause body and breath odor if you aren't drink loads of water.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

I know people who take liquid chlorophyll daily and swear it makes body odor disappear. Cheaper than wheat grass, too.

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    I eat between 20-30 eggs and red meat each week. Almost two months ago i went completely soap and shampoo free. My wife cant stop talking about good I smell now. Perhaps the problem is you are still using som soaps and deodarant. Or, perhaps not. I eat fruits, veggies, some cheese every now and then and very occasionally have some grains - typically breading on some meat. I pretty much only drink water.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If you aren't eating grass-finished beef, it could be hormone/toxin release from the corn/antibiotic/hormone-fed cattle. I eat red meat & eggs daily (from grass-finished cattle and free-range, pastured chickens) and don't have this issue, but of course it could be differing body chemistry.

Also, just a theory, but maybe that is too much protein for your body to process without creating byproducts like body odor. Have you read this?
    Muscle Building 101 | The Lean Saloon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast