Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I ate brussel sprouts! page

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member

I ate brussel sprouts!

Primal Fuel
    I ate Brussel Sprouts!!!!! I'm so proud of myself!!! I cut them in half, put them on a sheet tray with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, paprika, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and pancetta and roasted in at 425 degrees for about a half an hour. The tast was really good, the texture was a bit off putting. I think I could get used to it though. And best of all, I didn't use any sugar or fruit to cover up the taste of the vegetable! I think next time, I'm going to slice them thinner, as I really liked the thinner one, that got really crispy. They didn't have quite the mushy texture the bigger pieces had.

But the flavor was really really nice.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Awesome!! Good on you for experimenting and finding a way that you like sprouts prepared. My then-girlfriend-now-wife wouldn't come near them till I made this recipe: Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Cheese Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
    I actually haven't tried them roasted, but the way you cooked them sounds delicious.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Yay! Brussel sprouts are yummy. I make mine with bacon:

Slice sprouts into quarters about a pint
    Slice about 4 (I use more but then I usually have more than a pint of sprouts) slices of bacon into 1" pieces
    Fry the bacon in a large pan,
    If there is a lot of grease I usually drain off all but two or three tablespoons, depends on how lazy I'm being
    Add sprouts, stir, let fry for a few minutes, until edges of sprouts start to turn a little brown
    Add half cup of water and bring to a boil, let simmer for 6-7 minutes (basically till the water is almost gone) or until the sprouts are tender
    Serve

I'll try and find the actual recipe because I seem to remember pine nuts and onions being in it too, but the above is what I've done for the past two years and we all love it. The texture is always perfect and I never get the bitter sprouts I've had with other recipes if I accidentally overcook them.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I usually make them the way kaylee does. So yummy. They're a favorite at my house. I've had a few people who said they hated them try them and love them cooked that way. I think they'd likely been fed overcooked sprouts as a kid. I like them a bit al dente.

jflick is offline Junior Member
    I usually am lazy and get the grilled sprouts at the Whole Foods deli. Occasionally I'll do them myself Alton Brown style.
    Grilled Brussels Sprouts Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
    Bacon sounds like a great addition. MMMMM. IT'S BACON!!!

Bacchanal is offline Junior Member
    I love brussel sprouts however I can get them, but I know some people aren't so inclined.

Nice work finding a way to stomach them, though. This post makes me want to go buy some and experiment with different recipes.
    Last edited by Bacchanal; 03-27-2011 at 02:20 PM.

I have to resist making brussel sprouts too often b/c I can eat a Costco sized bag (it says 11 servings!) in one sitting. I loooove them any way, but roasted is the yummiest. But I actually find I like the texture/taste of roasted brussel sprouts better when they are cold... try putting some in the fridge and eating them tomorrow.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    !

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I love brussel sprouts! They are one of my favorite veggies, hands down. I can easily eat a dozen or more at a sitting, then more cold the next day. I'm a plain old boil em / steam em person, tho they would go very well with bacon, I'll have to try that. I always cut an X in the bottom when making them, for some reason it helps them cook more evenly.

katzilla is offline Senior Member
    I load em up with butter and garlic and salt. They are so delicious! Get down with your bad plant eating self!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast