Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Cream made me sick? page

mobettabody is offline Member

Coconut Cream made me sick?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I warmed and mixed 2 Tbs of Tropical Traditions coconut cream (no sugar added, right) with 6 squares (only about 7 carb grams) of Green and Blacks 85% chocolate last night and then cooled it and ate it. I felt awful this morning, sick to my stomach. I eat the chocolate several times a week but this is the first time with the coconut. I see the ingredients is just coconut so do you think it was just too much oil in one sitting? Anyone else use coconut cream?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I just finished eating a couple of "fat bombs" with a cup of coffee. (Tropical Traditions coconut cream concentrate blended with some extra blobs of straight coconut oil and some vanilla extract, then frozen in ice-cube trays.) It didn't make me sick when I started eating them, but I'm used to eating lots of coconut oil and coconut milk. You might want to start with a smaller quantity.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat coconut in other ways? Some of us have trouble with it in various forms. Actually, I seem to have sensitised myself! Bear this in mind, but def try some smaller uantities first

wendita38 is offline Junior Member
    It is very high in fiber so it can be harsh. Also, I just got sick from raw cocoa powder because it has mold in it sometimes and is also super high in fiber.

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    I have had problems with the coconut water straight out of a fresh coconut. It sent both the hubby and me to the bathroom more than once. It was not a young green coconut. I am wondering if we would have heated the liquid first if we would have had the problems.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Also bear in mind that coconut oil is a laxative. If you don't eat a lot of coconut products (particularly high-fat ones) regularly, it might take a little bit to get used to them.

chuckarie is offline Member
    i can't eat coconut cream or milk. it makes me feel like throwing up. in fact, just thinking about eating it makes me want to throw up. i don't think i like the coconut flavor or something.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckarie View Post
    i can't eat coconut cream or milk. it makes me feel like throwing up. in fact, just thinking about eating it makes me want to throw up. i don't think i like the coconut flavor or something.
    I haven't gotten to the feel like throwing up stage, but I have noticed this too. What surprised me is that I like the flavor of coconut oil. But using coconut milk did engage a bit of a "yuck" response. I wonder why...
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mobettabody View Post
    I warmed and mixed 2 Tbs of Tropical Traditions coconut cream (no sugar added, right) with 6 squares (only about 7 carb grams) of Green and Blacks 85% chocolate last night and then cooled it and ate it. I felt awful this morning, sick to my stomach. I eat the chocolate several times a week but this is the first time with the coconut. I see the ingredients is just coconut so do you think it was just too much oil in one sitting? Anyone else use coconut cream?
    Chocolate contains theobromine which can be poisonous in large quantities (some people can be more sensitive than others):
    Theobromine poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Theobromine poisoning in humans? - WrongDiagnosis.com

RednGreen is offline Member
    I'm glad you posted this. On two different occassions in the last month, during the day at work I wasn't passing any gas or going to the bathroom, but I felt like I really needed to. I felt terrible. The only common denominator I could come up with was I had eaten some ice cream made with coconut milk from Whole Foods the night before on each occassion. As good as it was, it definitely wasn't worth the price I paid the next day!
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast