Thread: Newbie needs nutrition help! page

frobleto is offline Junior Member

Newbie needs nutrition help!

Primal Fuel
    Hello, I am new to the PB lifestyle. I'm trying to figure out the percentage of Proteins/Carbs/Fats that I should be consuming. I am looking to lose weight approx. 30 lbs.

My details:
    Male
    24 years old.
    Height: 5'7"
    Body Weight: 178lbs
    Lean Muscle Weight: 136lbs
    Body Fat: 23.3%
    Lean Muscle: 38.9%

I have calculated about 81 grams of protein per day should be ideal, but I'm not sure on the rest of the numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

js290 is offline Senior Member

wendita38 is offline Junior Member
    Depending on the number of calories you can lose weight on, each gram of protein has 4 calories so if you deduct 81 times 4 and then determine the remaining calories, assuming no more than 100 carbs per day at 4 calories per gram - 400 cals, the rest should be made up of fat at 9 cals per gram.

frobleto is offline Junior Member
    thanks for the info. And Its hard to break a habit of all ways counting and looking at numbers.

Prime is offline Senior Member
    How did you determine that 81g protein is ideal? Following the PB, we would consume 1g protein per lb of lean body mass. This would put you at 136g protein per day. You'll need the protein to maintain lean muscle mass during the weight loss, and hopefully build new muscle from your heavy lifting

Personally, I feel best when my caloric intake is 30% protein, 25% carbohydrate, and 45% fat. Given that you are trying to lose weight you may want to do lower carbs and increased fat. Tracking can get a bit obsessive, try not to do it daily. Get a good feel for the nutrient composition of your go-to foods and the rest should be pretty simple!