Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: probiotics page

Cogs is offline Junior Member

probiotics

Primal Fuel
    Any suggestions for a probiotic?

klawler9 is offline Member
    With all due respect to Mark's product the only probiotic that I really feel works for me is Dr. Ohirah's Probiotics 12 Plus I think it is called. They are a Japanese brand. I have 10 different kinds in the house right now and my wife is yelling at me daily to order the Ohirah's.

Cogs is offline Junior Member
    haha. nice! Thanks man!

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Any suggestions for a probiotic?
    My suggestion is not to use probiotics. They are neutral at best and harmful at worst.

Edit:useful link on probiotics
    Last edited by Pantera; 03-27-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Added link

Anave is offline Member
    I don't take a probiotic every day, but I have been taking one for the last several days after a round of antibiotics for a sinus infection left my digestive system in disarray. They do have their uses I think.
    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    You can make naturally lacto-fermented veggies instead. Humans have eaten fermented food throughout history, good for probiotics and also helpful for digestion. You can also make kefir and yoghurt (I use water kefir as I am casein intolerant). Kefir and lacto-ferments are great as they are done at room temp, so very little hassle to make. I leave my water kefir for 3 days at it barely tastes sweet, then the kids drink it and I eat grains, as I need to keep low sugar intake. I'm delighted with the ferments, so nice to be able to have body-friendly relishes and chutneys with my meals after not having them for so long as store-bought ones mostly aren't suitable for me. I bought celtic sea salt to make them with so i can get extra minerals too.

Having said that, I am taking Bio-Kult at the moment, as I suspect I have gut dysbiosis from years of gluten damage.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 03-27-2011 at 08:13 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    homemade kefir or yogurt

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I take Enzymatic Therapy's Acidophilus pearls or Culturelle on occasion. I can't have dairy products, and coconut kefir/yogurt is not my thing. No interest in fermenting my own stuff.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Makes some Beet Kvass as I just mentioned in another thread. It is very easy and is a great spring tonic with probiotics.
    Find recipe here.
    Beet Kvass

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just bought Align yesterday to give it a try because it contains B. Infantis (unfortunately patented by P&G). Bifidobacteria is one genus found in breast-fed babies, and Align has been shown to improve IBS symptoms. As much as I hope this works for me, I have not seen measurable improvement taking any other probiotics. Acidophillus is the most overrated, IMO.

Also, if you haven't already guessed, I make my own yogurt. I ordered several different cultures online to experiment with finding the right combo for me. Making yogurt is incredibly easy and fun.
    Last edited by Renegade Yogurt; 03-27-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Bad spellers of the world, untie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast