Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat Malabsorption? page

Prime is offline Senior Member

Fat Malabsorption?

Shop Now
    Prior to starting PB, my dietary fat intake was around 20-25g per day, roughly 15% of my calories for the day. Now I'm eating an average of 90g fat, 55% caloric intake.

TMI alert! My stools have been soft, voluminous, smelly, and stick-to-the-bowl for over a month. Technically this is termed steatorrhea and results from fat malabsorption. Most online sources recommend digestive enzymes to treat this, and assume that the pancreas isn't producing enough enzymes. All of these CW sources probably don't take into account the high amount of dietary fat from PB!

The questions... Am I consuming too much fat? Will a probiotic help? Are there any foods that would aide in fat digestion? Is this malabsorption harmful over time, or just annoying? I feel great, and have no other digestive issues. I just want to address the issue in case it's something serious! Thanks all

Mousehound is offline Junior Member
    That is something I am wondering about here in this thread too:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26687.html

sandokan2112 is offline Member
    you could try substituting some of the fat in your diet with coconut products (coconut oil/milk).
    This is what i did with my diet.
    Its easier on my digestive system and it gives me TONS of energy.
    The fat in coconut oil/milk is the easiest of all fats to digest. They even give it to the elderly and sick people with comprimised digestion.
    Coconut oil/milk requires virtually no pancreatic enzymes, this = less stress on the pancreas.
    I usually take in around 45 grams of fat from coconut products.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandokan2112 View Post
    you could try substituting some of the fat in your diet with coconut products (coconut oil/milk).
    This is what i did with my diet.
    Its easier on my digestive system and it gives me TONS of energy.
    The fat in coconut oil/milk is the easiest of all fats to digest. They even give it to the elderly and sick people with comprimised digestion.
    Coconut oil/milk requires virtually no pancreatic enzymes, this = less stress on the pancreas.
    I usually take in around 45 grams of fat from coconut products.
    Though just be aware that it might have the opposite effect....for me, coconut oil in moderate amounts is the only fat that triggers the very symptoms the OP mentioned! I have no problems with olive oil, meat fat, or butter.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating any gluten? Fat malabsorption is a sign of gluten intolerance.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Stick to the bowl poo sounds like not enough fibre to me. With fat malabsorption they usually float.

Prime is offline Senior Member
    Nope, no gluten...

Meat, eggs, veggies, berries, occasional nuts, sweet potatoes. Cooking with olive oil and butter, coconut oil didn't agree with me. Taking Mark's advanced health supplement.

Most of the info online suggests that this is a symptom of malabsorption, Crohn's, celiac, or IBS. This actually started after eliminating the grains and processed foods, so I'm pretty sure it's not celiac or crohn's! All of my previous IBS symptoms have disappeared, and I feel really good. If the probiotic doesn't help, I might try digestive enzymes. I'm frustrated

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    I love digestive enzymes, I have issues breaking down fat and protein so these help a ton.
    As for foods that help with digestion of fats? That would be raw fats and oils and eating a low carbohydrate diet...oh wait
    Adding more raw foods will help you boost your enzyme levels naturally.
    Calm the f**k down.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    If stools are smelly it's not inadequate fiber. Also, fat is absorbed in the small intestine, so probiotics, which are a large intestine supplement, won't fix the underlying issue. Assuming it's malabsorption, it could be insufficient bile and/or lipase, or impaired intestinal absorption due to the past diet. Could be a combination of the three. In the former case, enzymes should help; in the latter case it'll simply take time and the healing in the gut. In either case it should be self-correcting as the body receives the signals and nutrition to up-regulate fat-related enzymes and the gut heals through better nutrition and lessened irritation.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Certain probiotic strains help the small intestine and other strains the large intestine.

Stools with adequate fiber don't normally leave skid marks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast