Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Craving some oatmeal page

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member

Craving some oatmeal

Just watched a cooking program where they drizzled some in maple syrup and added dried apricots. I used to have it like that for breakfast but have given it up since going primal. Now eggs are the staple breakfast food. Also delicious but I'd like to have more variety.

Oats

"100 grams of oats contain grams 16.89 protein, 389 calories and 10.6 grams dietary fiber.

Potassium - 429 mg
    Phosphorus - 523 mg
    Calcium - 54 mg
    Magnesium - 177 mg
    Iron - 4.72 mg
    Sodium - 2 mg
    Manganese - 4.916 mg
    Zinc - 3.97 mg
    Copper - 0.626 mg
    Also contains trace amounts of other minerals.

Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.763 mg
    Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.139 mg
    Niacin - 0.961 mg
    Pantothenic Acid - 1.349 mg
    Vitamin B6 - 0.119 mg
    Folate - 56 mcg
    Contains some other vitamins in small amounts."

source: Nuts, grains and seeds chart | Nutrient chart | Vitamins and minerals in common nuts, grains and seeds

Plenty of reasons to eat oats going by this. Good source of minerals and protein, but it doesn't show the GL or anything. Tell me the reasons not to eat oats.

Randall

edit - I'm not concerned about the carbs as I'm physically active and not overweight. Would it be a good choice post-workout?
    Last edited by randallfloyd; 03-27-2011 at 05:20 AM.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Eat them as a Cheat meal once a week if it's important to you.....

There are plenty of reasons to not eat them, mainly from the processing of them alone.... and all the chemicals. If you are going to eat them, get the long cooking organic oats- best bet.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Most have gluten. Oats also have avidin, which is to oats as gluten is to wheat. It has phytic acid which will inhibit your mineral absorption. It's almost as bad as wheat. I prefer keeping a healthy gut.

teelea is offline Senior Member
    I was at my heath food store the other day and found an organic rolled oat cookie - the ingredients were
    Organic rolled oats
    maple syrup
    tahini butter
    sesame seeds

So - I went for it cause I was HUNGRY.

I say if you want some oatmeal, eat it. If it makes you crave more, less healthful foods - stay away from it next time cause now you know. If you can eat it every now and then with no ill effects, then enjoy it.

My 2 cents.

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teelea View Post
    I was at my heath food store the other day and found an organic rolled oat cookie - the ingredients were
    Organic rolled oats
    maple syrup
    tahini butter
    sesame seeds

So - I went for it cause I was HUNGRY.

I say if you want some oatmeal, eat it. If it makes you crave more, less healthful foods - stay away from it next time cause now you know. If you can eat it every now and then with no ill effects, then enjoy it.

My 2 cents.
    +1

Springbean is offline Member
    If you want eat them as a treat or a cheat occasionally, fine. But read this first, this is at the core the PB.

Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randallfloyd View Post

Plenty of reasons to eat oats going by this. Good source of minerals and protein, but it doesn't show the GL or anything. Tell me the reasons not to eat oats.

Randall
    Randall,

If you're looking for a reason not to eat oats, check out this email I got from Jon Benson the other day. The subject was "Warning: This Common "Healthy" Food Contains ACID!"

Gotta hear this:

Ever heard of sulfuric acid?

It's the stuff you toss on something if you
    want it to melt right in front of you.

It's obviously toxic.

And yet:

It's found in this common "healthy" food
    in concentrated quantity:

Oats.

This is yet ANOTHER reason why I advocate
    a paleo-style dietplan for the majority of the
    week. On the other days, you can eat far
    less strict, enjoying your favorite foods
    in moderation.

My entire plan is here:

"Cheat" Every Other Day? <--- Awesome way to eat

Obviously there's not enough sulfuric acid
    in oatmeal to melt your mouth… YET:

There's plenty 'nuff to turn your body acidic.
    An acidic pH has been connected to a variety
    of bone disease states. It can trigger gout too.

Ouch.

Best to avoid oats. You do not need grains
    at ALL… and if you eat them, you should do
    so on your "cheat" days as I recommend.

Here's the idea:

The dietplan I recommend is here: <--- Follow this

Talk soon,

Jon Dana Benson

P.S. A little oats won't kill you, obviously…
    but most people swear they are super-
    awesome-healthy for you…

And that just isn't so.

I hear you - I miss oatmeal too . My Mum eats it in the morning sometimes and I usually have to leave the room, it smells so good.

If you're having a bowl every once in a while I'd say go for it. In my personal opinion, eating it a couple times a week (after workouts, say) kind of counteracts the Primal diet - to me, that's kind of like a vegetarian eating bacon and eggs for breakfast every other day.

Also, I'd try Quinoa if I were you. I know there's always going to be a debate about this, but in my opinion Quinoa is a "lesser evil" than oatmeal. I think it tastes better, too. Just make sure to wash the saopins off of it before cooking

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Furan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max[imilian] View Post
    +1
    Same. +1.

I was basically addicted to cereals before going Paleo. A few years ago, for I was hungry every two hours, I thought that getting an oatmeal every day instead of the regular corn flakes would be a solution to my cravings. Well. It worked. For a couple of weeks only. Eventually, I got used to them and could eat even more. I'm trying to say that somehow, it tampers with your appetite in such a way that if you're gonna have oatmeals, then you're gonna crave for some more of these, sooner or later.

Stay away from them. Should these be on a cheat list, it would be best if they were among the last items to be chosen from.
    ======== ==== == =
    Be hardcore, drink water

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone. I'll go for one bowl a week. I like to have variety, and I've been realizing that there's no such thing as healthy food and unhealthy food, in an abstract sense. It was quite depressing really, after cutting the processed stuff and excess sugar, to read that nuts, nightshades, dairy, eggs, brown rice, etc, etc, all these natural whole foods, can all be causes of illness and intolerance in different people.

What I need to do is not think about the unhealthy things in food and just really enjoy whatever I've got in front of me. There's a place for education, and I'm better off after reading MDA and other health sites, especially when they challenge the CW, but with having OCD, it can easily add to stress. For example, if I include a couple tbsp peanut butter in something (because it's cheaper than Almond) I'm thinking about the crazy O3/O6 ratio, and it doesn't do me any good. Same thing with CAFO meat, if I don't have it along with an omega 3 tablet, stresses me out a little. Can anyone else relate?
    Last edited by randallfloyd; 03-27-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There's a great "oatmeal" recipe in Mark's new cookbook. Grain-free.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast