Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fasting/Intermittent Fasting page

Mousehound is offline Junior Member

Fasting/Intermittent Fasting

Primal Fuel
    I was very over weight, and still am 1 point above what would be a normal BMI for my age. My goal is the lower range of normal weight BMI. I want to be/feel healthy. I use PB to help fight my rheumatoid arthritis, and it works very well for me.

I have progressed within 6 months through 1/2 day fasting, 1 day fasting with 2 days eating, fasting every other day, to now fasting 2 days and eating 1 day. I feel really great on my fasting days, but my eating days are horrible. I get horrible diarrhea when I start to eat. I want to keep those nutrients in, and benefit from the calories that I eat on my eating days, but it isn't really working. I have read numerous fasting books looking for the answer, but have not solved the problem yet. I assume that I may be fasting too much for my body to change gears for one day of eating. I do supplement myself with pills and BCAA in order to not suffer deficiencies (yes, I know that isn't really Primal, but I feel safer that way). What I need to learn is how to avoid the diarrhea. Breaking my fast with fruit did not help. The best results came when I ate lettuce and chicken/turkey breast meat. It wasn't as bad that day. I want to include a wide variety of nutrients on my eating days. Has anyone had similar problems and found answers? Is the intermittent fasting method that I am using to extreme? What am I doing wrong, or do I just need to be a bit more patient with my body, and it will adjust in a few weeks?

TY in advance for any help offered.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if your method of IF is too extreme, but your body seems to think so. Maybe try a daily feeding window of 6-8 hours for a while, and then maybe one day per week that you fast from dinner to dinner.

That would mean I would gain weight again. My metabolism really pulls the calories out of what I eat. Probably the minimum of fasting that I could do would be 2 days of eating followed by 1 day of fasting. Even then I would stop losing weight. Before you ask, yes, my diet is very primal and strict, and I workout a lot.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Give us an account of what you eat on your eating days. Also, what are your physical stats, height and weight?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    What I need to learn is how to avoid the diarrhea.
    Are you taking magnesium? Too much can result in soft stools/diarrhea.

Yes, I have taken the same amount of Mg for years to sleep better at night. I doubt that is part of my current problem. I am wondering if my body can't deal with fat anymore after the fasting? I could try cutting out as much fat as possible next time, but I really didn't want to go down that road if I'm honest.

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't cut out the fat. You want your feasting to be comprehensive since you are restricting the rest of the time.

Maybe just 36 hours fasting? 24 hours fasting? Did the toilet time increase with increased fasting windows? That would be it then...

...Once upon a time, I was a fruitarian, and that diet is very pro-soft stool. So, a good lesson to learn for you to not run to the fruit to break the fast.

Sorry, I missed the question about the stats. Here they are.

I am 44 yrs. old, female.
    174 cm (5'9)
    84 kg (184.8 lbs.)

On eating days food varies, but generally I've been eating:
    Fruit: banana, apple, sometimes mixed berries
    Veggies: cucumber, tomatoes, onion, green beans (cooked), lettuce, leeks (cooked), mushrooms (cooked), carrots
    Meats: chicken, turkey, pork, seldom beef
    Cold cuts: smoked ham and salami
    Extras: bottled salad dressing, olive oil, and sunflower margarine for frying on occasion, and pistachios. Eggs twice a week.
    I drink mostly water or tea, sometimes coffee. All without milk or sugar.
    Last edited by Mousehound; 03-27-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    I wouldn't cut out the fat. You want your feasting to be comprehensive since you are restricting the rest of the time.

Maybe just 36 hours fasting? 24 hours fasting? Did the toilet time increase with increased fasting windows? That would be it then...

...Once upon a time, I was a fruitarian, and that diet is very pro-soft stool. So, a good lesson to learn for you to not run to the fruit to break the fast.
    I eat more veggies than fruit, as I prefer them. Except for a half day fast, fasting is always causing diarrhea.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if your seemingly extreme fasting habits have caused your body to down-regulate the enzymes you need to properly digest your food, including the magnesium you are taking. Consider taking digestive enzymes with your meals and magnesium, and see if that helps.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast