Thread: not a recipe, but a great deal: whole foods bone-in lamb for stew page

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member

not a recipe, but a great deal: whole foods bone-in lamb for stew

My local Whole Foods carries boneless stew lamb for $9.99, but bone-in stew lamb for $2.99. I wanted to know just how much meat is actually on them bones, so I asked for 3 lbs. I ended up getting 1278g, slightly less. Threw it all into a pot of water and let it simmer for a few hours like I was making a stock, then pulled the meat out and separated the now-tender flesh from the bones. I reserved the flesh and the fat floating in the pot and threw the bones back in to extract more minerals, but first I weighed the bones: 223g. That means that the meat actually cost $3.62/lb and the bones were free. Granted this is the first time I've done this and my results might not be typical, but I figure that even if the true average is 1/3 bone and 2/3 meat that's still less than $4.50/lb with free bones for stock. These ones are from the breast of the animal so I also get some cartilage for joint health; not that I've had any complaints before, mind you!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great tip, I'll have to see if they've got the same deal in my city. Thanks!