Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelle Obama's DietTips page 4

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

LOL Sassy, right on!

I'm a Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck Conservative, so :P

Griff is offline Senior Member

Diana: Then you and I need to avoid one another. There's more than one kind of CW - it's not limited to nutrition and exercise - and if you're listening to that group of folks, you're being inundated with it daily.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Yes, Griff, there is more than one kind of CW, and if you're not listening to that group of folks, you're uninformed.

That's ok if you can't handle conversing with somebody who believes differently than you. You can avoid me if you like.

Kebekgirl Guest

This is the woman who rode her limo one block, amid the wail of sirens to buy certified organic Tuscan kale at a farmers market - which closed down all the streets in that area of DC... Then picked out her farmers maket selection, handed them to her assistant to pay and bring back to the white house somehow - then Ms O got back in her limo for her one block ride back home... But who's looking at carbon footprints?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091703679.html

Griff is offline Senior Member

You and I will have to agree to disagree on this topic. Don't worry. I'm not going to try to convince you that you're wrong. It would be a waste of time to try.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Hehehe Kebe

Griff- Quite true. Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still.

If it makes you feel any better, I used to be a Liberal in college. I even voted for Kerry. :P

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

Not sure how this degenerated into a us vs them political fight, but anyway...

Does anyone really think that MO or any other first lady has ever done a lick of work in a White House garden? C'mon, get real. I'm sure the WH gardeners did a great job after the first few photo-ops. The point is that every celebrity who pushes the CW propaganda just influences even more folks down the wrong path. I watched Oprah yesterday sing the praises of a vegan chef serving some kind of fake chicken dish that tasted "just like chicken!" Sigh - what's wrong with the real stuff, Oprah?

Propaganda comes from all directions, Dems and Repubs alike. As with religion, I choose not to align myself with either. Libertarianism is closer (get the government out of my life!) but they can be weirdos, too. Perhaps we can start an apolitical a-religious party called the Primalists We won't need universal healthcare because we will all be healthy!

At least we all agree on that one Griff. To me, arguing about religion and politics is absolutely pointless.

Like one of us is going to say "OH, really? Wow, I'll start looking at it that way now....".

Beliefs are deeply ingrained and are highly inflammatory when messed with.

Best to leave this alone.

Katt is offline Senior Member

I periodically listen to Hannity, Limbaugh and Beck. Occasionally they even get something right. Most of the time they are just blowing hot air and stirring people up simply for ratings. I can't admire that.

I don't admire it when the Democrats do it, either. I voted for Obama. I /might/ have been willing to vote for McCain... right up until he took on Sarah Palin as his running mate. She comes across as grossly unqualified. I would never have voted for Clinton, however. She always comes across as fake.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Shine is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [quote]

GOOD GRIEF! Shine, you ruffled my feathers yet again. Do you take YOURSELF so seriously?
    </blockquote>

I find it odd you take offense so easily when you are outspoken yourself. Your reconstruction of a quote, and corresponding slanting of reality, is much more feather-ruffling than my calling you out on it.

Why do I take this so seriously? Because this is how rumors and hype start. People read your post and gather that the first lady is recommending that Americans eat rice and meat while standing in front of their televisions. Whether or not you deliberately intended to give your readers this impression, you have now become the source of misrepresented facts. Now when your readers go to work Monday morning with their latest piece of anti-Obama ammunition for coffee break, they will be citing an erroneous piece of information. (I know that you provided a link, but most people accept everything they read and do not bother checking sources.)

This is not about being liberal or pro-Obama; this is about not wanting to see more baseless criticism arise. I take this very seriously because baseless criticism detracts from serious criticism. During that Monday morning coffee break, guffawing over Michelle Obama&#39;s crazy diet tips will take the place of what could be productive political discourse.

I do not mean to insinuate that your comment will prevent what could have been deeply important and crucial political debate in important policy matters. However, at the national level, tactics like cherry picking and quote mining are regularly employed by news media outlets and politicians alike (although sometimes the two are nearly indistinguishable). This prevents any actual policy from being objectively discussed, and in turn detracts from genuine, intelligent, and essential criticism of the government.

Addressing this problem at the national level requires addressing this issue at the interpersonal level of daily life. I know that you were not intentionally being a spin doctor, but you presented a doctored quote, nonetheless. I oppose this just as much as I oppose the quote mining I see every night on the news.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast