Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF- which of these 2 choices would be better? page

Zedefone is offline Member

IF- which of these 2 choices would be better?

Shop Now
    Would it be better to fast in the morning and eat during lunch, dinner? Or eat during breakfast and lunch and fast at night during dinner?

Which would be the better choice?

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    Depends on a few things. Are you working out in the morning or at night? There's been lots of information floating around suggesting that working out in a fasted state is much better for you. Also, are your goals to lose weight, gain muscle or both?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Do what works for you.

I find it easier and more freeing to have a noon-8 pm eating window--sometimes I move this from 10 am to 6 pm.

Johnny at LeanSaloon (a great IFing resource, BTW) eats from 4 pm - 11 pm.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    I like working out on an empty stomach, so I skip breakfast and work out in the morning. I have my first meal around noon-two and then dinner. No snacks unless I'm pmsing or something.
    I think if it were someone who liked a big dinner and worked out at night, might be better the other way around. Eat dinner, let it settle, work out.
    Personal preference I think.
    Also depends on goals. My goal is health and weight loss. If others didn't have the weight loss goals, things could change for them.

Ransom is offline Senior Member
    I agree that it depends on your goals but I would recommend skipping breakfast just because it sucks to go to bed hungry. As Martin from leangains says, "the evening is for eating and unwinding" (in so many words). I think he would recommend the same thing. The idea of your last meal being at like 2pm or something just sounds terrible to me. That's me, though. I also agree with doing what works for you. Try them both out and see how you like it.
    Strength and Honor

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I agree that it depends on your goals but I would recommend skipping breakfast just because it sucks to go to bed hungry. As Martin from leangains says, "the evening is for eating and unwinding" (in so many words). I think he would recommend the same thing. The idea of your last meal being at like 2pm or something just sounds terrible to me. That's me, though. I also agree with doing what works for you. Try them both out and see how you like it.
    Yep. This.

I personally find it easiest to have a 7-8 hour eating window (say 1.30 pm to 8.30 pm), because I just could *not* cope with going to bed hungry. However, dealing with occasional mild hunger pangs during the morning, when I'm busy at the office and time passes quickly, is surprisingly easy for me.

Just see how it goes. I'm loving a short daily IF - having that structure really works well with my daily routine. I use my former breakfast time to sit quietly with a glass of hot lemon water and plan my meals for the day (or prepare a lunch to take to work), which seems to reduce the opportunities for chaotic/unplanned eating which might then fall outside my preferred, Primal-friendly choices.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedefone View Post
    Would it be better to fast in the morning and eat during lunch, dinner? Or eat during breakfast and lunch and fast at night during dinner?

Which would be the better choice?
    The fact that you're having to ask this question says you're not ready for fasting. What do you expect to get out of fasting?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    My opinion would be to have the eating window around the most common times you eat with your family and friends. For most, that is in the evenings.

Chrisflyer is offline Member
    Try skipping dinner - sleeping whilst fasting is the easiest way to start-off since you'll spend most of your fast asleep. You should always work-out in a fasted state. The body will burn down what little glucose it has remaining in your muscles and liver and switch to ketosis for energy etc.

Also, you want to remain fasted for at least one hour post work-out. Whilst your growth hormone is elevated - you want to take advantage of that. Once you eat, growth hormone diminishes.

A

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisflyer View Post
    Also, you want to remain fasted for at least one hour post work-out. Whilst your growth hormone is elevated - you want to take advantage of that. Once you eat, growth hormone diminishes.

A
    Do you have any articles or papers to link for that information? I would be curious to read about it. From what I understand, it doesn't really matter when you eat, but when the food hits your blood stream that matters. That's usually 1-2 hours after you eat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast