Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining Weight Success Stories? page

Lily is offline Junior Member

Gaining Weight Success Stories?

Shop Now
    I'm not interested in losing weight--I want to pack on some pounds (muscle and fat), and would love to hear about success stories for those of us wanting to gain! Please point me in the direction of some journals that are not focused on weight loss!

Skinny Lily

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    Zeroing in on Recovery
    is the first person who comes too mind.
    hope you dont mind i posted your blog mal, i figured if anyone could be inspiration it's you!

Thanks for the post. I do want to say however, that I do not have an eating disorder. I do not limit or count calories in any way, and never have.

I just want to gain weight as healthily and naturally as possible. It's really hard to find any information on gaining weight, because our culture is so obsessed with losing weight (especially women). Any mention of healthy eating automatically implies a weight-loss motive.

My ideal weight would be between 125-135. I was bordering around 120, but then when I went to the gym last week I weighed myself out of curiosity, and was upset that I was down to 117.

Thank You,
    Lily

stewie97 is offline Member
    recovering from an eating disorder or not, Mal has gained healthy lean mass by following primal and I think Martin's leangains approach. She certainly is one to turn to for an example of doing it right.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    here i am

yes, i have held steady at a 25-27 lb weight gain in about 9 month period. i used leangains to put on weight but have tried to get off it now in hopes of increasing fertility.

what helps?

sardines
    eggs(a lot of eggs...)
    walnuts(just pour a bowl and keep them out, youll eat em lol)
    dairy
    coconuts(the whole thing)
    get lean meat and add lots of fatty reductions b/c you can eat more then if you just buy fatty cuts of meat

what hinders?
    loading up on veggies
    bad digestion

also, lift HEAVY twice a week and sit on ur arse and sleep as often as possible(in the sun)

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I'm male, but I've been gaining weight purposely for a while now: Around 14kg in 6 months, some muscle, some fat, some water, probably grown a bit as well since I'm only 18.
    Eating a lot of animal products is KEY, more than you will feel comfortable eating at first. I'll give some food choices to load up the calories.
    Meat, lots of it, prefferably very fatty cuts since they have higher calories. I tend to eat a pound of beef in a meal.
    Eggs, a dozen scrambled or whatever, with lots of butter and cheese and stuff.
    Dairy, drink a liter of whole milk or more a day, add cream/sour cream/cheese to meals whenever appopriate. You can also do shake with whey and heavy whipping cream and some fruit or whatever if you really want to go calorie dense.
    Nut butters are easy to eat because theyre tasty and dense (I like it with raw carrots).

Doing strength training aka lifting heavy barbells is going to improve the fat/muscle ratio that you gain from overeating. Are you in a gym? Learning the powerlifts and focusing on them is very valuable.
    On the opposite end of the spectrum, don't do long distance, slow cardio as this has a tendency to cause muscle wasting. HIT/sprints are fine on a moderate basis.

Mal -- what is "leangains"? Do you do any exercise besides lifting twice a week? I tried googling it, but all I could find was some serious body builders.

Thanks Pandadude for the food suggestions. I am in a gym, but I only work out once a week. I dance (just cause I love it, so I'm not cutting that out) and lift weight afterwards.

Hawkeye is offline Junior Member
    Hey, I'm a 6'1" male. Used to weigh a skinnyfat 170 (Not sure about my bf%, but I had no abs whatsoever). About October last year I started going primal along with working out. It took me a little while to go all the way, but I now weigh almost 190, and have about 12-13% body fat. It's pretty sweet.

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by gunn parker; 03-27-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added text

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    I am in a gym, but I only work out once a week. I dance (just cause I love it, so I'm not cutting that out) and lift weight afterwards.
    Definitely keep doing physical activity that relieves stress (cortisol control). If you're only in the gym once a week, make it count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast