Thread: Some Advice please page

emergingstar is offline Junior Member

Some Advice please

Primal Fuel
    Hi all

Im new to going primal im type 1 diabetic and after reading the primal blueprint i think this is the way for me.
    Im trying to educate myself on the best fats to eat i was never really good with nutrition

So if anyone good jump in with the best meats i could cook or point me in the right way i would be very grateful.

Thanks

Anave is offline Member
    Well for starters, what kinds of meats do you most enjoy cooking and eating? Beef? Poultry? Fish? Others?

When starting out on a new way of eating I think it's helpful to utilize the things you know you like and will want to eat, and there are many good sources of healthy fats from which to choose. My personal favorite is fish, especially salmon, and I don't like red meat which most of the PB community seems to adore.

So, I say start with the meats you're automatically drawn to and start expanding from there.
    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil. Coconut oil daily is a good idea. Check around for the various virgin coconut oil brands available to you and see what you like. Their tastes can be very different. If you search the MDA archives, you'll find lots of good information and recipes.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    YES: Animal fats, coconut oil, olive oil, macadamia nut oil.

NO: corn, soybean, safflower, cottonseed, canola or other vegetable oils that require large scale industrial methods to extract.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I hope you have Dr. Berstein's book; cured himself of Type I with low carb, paleo type diet.
    Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Listen to moar Slayer

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    Meat fats are some of the easiest to work into your diet since you'll be eating s lot of meat. That being said, if you're getting fat from meat, do your best to make sure it's organic and fed with the proper diet. If you can't afford that (it's pretty darn expensive) then get leaner cuts of meat (the majority of bad things from improper diets are stored in the fat), supplement with fish oil (to offset the increased intake of omega-6s) and get your fats from coconut/olive oil, avocados and certain kinds of nut butters if you like (almond and cashew are best in my opinion).

Hope that helps!

P.S. Dairy is also a great source of fat, depending on your tolerance and weight loss goals.

emergingstar is offline Junior Member
    I love pork and beef are these ok to eat, Also just wondering i read soewhere that i its bad to cook with olive oil is this true?