Thread: How to cook 12lbs of pot roast at once? page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

How to cook 12lbs of pot roast at once?

Primal Fuel
    So I live in Chicago in a small condo with a decent kitchen and a modern electric range. Aldi had pot round roast on sale for $1/lb so I bought all they had, about 12 lbs. Now i eat 12 lbs of meat a week (I need 180g protein a day at my weight) so this is food for the week, but it is all near expiration date. Couple that with the fact that a pot roast takes awhile to cook I was wondering if it was possible to cook it all at the same time in the oven tomorrow and just freeze what I don't eat for re-heating later.

Mass meat cookers: how do I go about this?

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    It all depends on your pots and the size of your oven I think! If it were me, I'd put some in a crockpot with onions and any other root vegetables I had around (celery for example), and some in a Dutch oven with similar. Both should turn out juicy and also adaptable as leftovers. Actually that's one point, I usually undercook things I know I'll be eating as leftovers so that after time in the fridge and nuking, they're not dried out.

Congratulations on the score at the store!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Napalm.

Mommaofmany is offline Member
    A crockpot would work for some of it. I'd cut some up into stew meat and freeze it.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    I had to cook 24lbs of pork shoulder recently and I used turkey roasting pans to slow roast in the oven. 275deg for 8hrs

strom is offline Senior Member
    pot roasts with bbq sauce are devine. My sister who is usually lazy about dinner cut up the entire roast herself and ate 3 large servings of it. I wish we could get a 12 pounder here.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    A 5 Quart crock pot will only cook about 5-6 lbs at a time. Cutting a couple of pounds up for stew/fajita meat is a good option. Otherwise I'd do the slow oven roasting kitoi recommends. Add water, minimal salt/seasonings, cover tightly with foil, and cook low and slow.

Although, the monotony of eating the same meat for every meal would get to me... just sayin'
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Stews are also a great way to use tougher cuts and don't need precise low-temp control since with more liquid there's less of a chance of boiling dry.

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I prefer the meat as a roast - I tend to always make stews in the crock pot that turn out bitter - maybe the bay leaf. I never liked stew as a kid so yeah.

As for being boring - I have a bad habit of always letting carbs or too many calories (I am trying to lose a lot of weight) drift into my diet if I try and make too many different meals. That, and I'm an unemployed post grad so eating for a week on $12 is a big deal.

I can make it work though, using the Robb Wolf method. I get 4 different veggie types, and 4 different oil types (lard, avacado, coconut, and olive) and a huge spice rack and just mix it up each night. Of course, I am also the guy who gained 200lbs eating the same meal every night for an entire year (Nachos, cheese sticks, and a 2litre of diet coke) so I may have some compulsion for finding solace in routine.

I like the undercooked idea - I just want to tenderize all the meat enough to be able to throw it in the pan for 4 minutes and have it not be too leathery.