Start to take a look at your daily schedule and compare this to your current gym routine - are there any parallels? If not, start to add in some exercises that will work towards improving some basic skills e.g.
* Deadlifts (and especially suitcase variations) will assist in picking things up from the floor such as shopping bags or children
* Lunges and their variations will improve Gait (walking)
* Cleans and Presses will improve your ability to lift things above your head such as putting objects onto a high shelf
* Step Ups will improve your ability to walk up stairs
* Squats will improve your ability to stand up and sit down
These are some very basic examples but hopefully you can see how you might start to analyse your programme in a slightly different way.
Thank you for this! So often exercise seems geared to the high end of fitness, and I found this very helpful way to think about doing some of these exercises that I tend to avoid, like lunges.
This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots. Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism