Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever question your supplement use? page

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member

Do you ever question your supplement use?

Shop Now
    I looked at my counter just now and saw all the supplements I have and wondered why I take so many and if they really do work or are just the equivalent of throwing away money or worse, that they actually could harm my health. There are always new reports coming out on how something we've been told (or sold) is good for us, really isn't or that it's bad for us.

I take probiotics, kelp, magnesium, vitamin d, fish oil regularly. Sometimes ginger, turmeric, trace minerals.
    I just worry that I'm screwing myself up somehow or wasting money, but then I get afraid to stop taking them too thinking what if my body needs them.
    Almost everything I take, if I research it I'll find both how it's THE thing your body needs and then also how it's not something you should take.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    -- In before this thread turns into "Grok didn't..."

I currently only take Magnesium (~400mg daily), Vit d, 5000 IU daily, Fish oil two DHA-500 daily and that's it. I trust that these are good for me and don't think about it much after that. The money invested as far as I'm concerned is rather minimal. My diet is also not optimized, I mostly consume grain fed meats, don't buy organic with any kind of frequency, etc. I think if I'm going to nit-pick anything, it would be my diet first, then my supplements.

-- out before this thread inevitably becomes "Grok didn't..."

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I have questioned this many times. We won't believe CW medical as far as diet, yet we trust what we are told about supplements. Why? I guess I believe it because it sounds good. However, my dad and my grandparents never took any vitamins at all. They all lived relatively long lives, dad was 83, grandfather 95, and grandmother 96. On top of that, all of them smoked.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Yes, because I see the people around me who look and feel healthy at least for now, without paying much attention to their diet or to supplements.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    I think times are so different than those of our Grandparents, Great Grandparents. It's all before the chemical altering of our food supply and before the FDA got their filthy fingers into everything. That is why I think Supplementation is necessary. You certainly are not getting pure nutrtition out of most of the food we buy, short of growing it yourself. I Take Magnesium, Fish Oil, Vitamin-d Folic Acid and B-complex. I still feel like that's alot, but all of them I feel are necessary for me.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    I'm too lazy to keep taking many supplements regularly for too long. I'm 2/3 of the way through a bottle of fermented cod liver oil I bought at the beginning of winter and I have some magnesium (Natural Calm) that I take when I'm having anxiety attacks or migraines regularly. Since I eat a lot of small-scale, locally-farmed, mostly-organic (or the same as organic without paying the U$DA for certification) food, I'm probably doing okay on most things, anyway. But I do wonder if I would have done better on my Whole30 if I'd taken a probiotic supplement. In the absence of my morning yogurt, I had some issues.

I like the cod liver oil in the winter for vitamin D when I can't get out into the sun. I definitely notice an improvement in my mood, but it could be that after swallowing fermented fish goo in the morning, things can only get better...

Grok is offline Senior Member
    I definitely feel more energy and improved cognition taking DCMF (which I get for free thanks to my Dad.)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Yes, I have questioned this many times. We won't believe CW medical as far as diet, yet we trust what we are told about supplements. Why? I guess I believe it because it sounds good. However, my dad and my grandparents never took any vitamins at all. They all lived relatively long lives, dad was 83, grandfather 95, and grandmother 96. On top of that, all of them smoked.
    Isn't this a played out look at things though, honestly? Who cares if your grandparents lived long lives despite never taking supplements? My grandfather died at 77 of emphysema, heavy smoker his whole life, does that then discredit your argument? My grandma lived with him, she never smoked, she's still alive, does that mean or prove anything? Can I safely take up smoking? All their children smoke, none are dead, none have emphysema, my father is the only one that quit about 7 years ago, is he going to live a long life? what if it rains tomorrow, will he get wet?

I'm not attacking you, I'm sure you see that, but the longevity argument is pretty baseless as far as I'm concerned.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    I just had a long conversation with my husband about this. He doesn't take supplements, but the guy is blessed with fantastic genetics and works outside. I work at a desk sitting most the day and my family genetics are horrible. I also think the 10 years I was vegetarian really harmed my body and I just want to regain strength in my muscles and bones. I don't do dairy at all (except butter on veggies a few times a week) so he said he thought calcium would be good for me.
    The comment that it's a different time now with food compared to our Grandparents makes sense too. The meat that is offered now is not the same meat they ate back then. Same with fruits and vegetables. I also drink bottled water now, they surely didn't. So they got things from water that I don't get in my water.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Isn't this a played out look at things though, honestly? Who cares if your grandparents lived long lives despite never taking supplements? My grandfather died at 77 of emphysema, heavy smoker his whole life, does that then discredit your argument? My grandma lived with him, she never smoked, she's still alive, does that mean or prove anything? Can I safely take up smoking? All their children smoke, none are dead, none have emphysema, my father is the only one that quit about 7 years ago, is he going to live a long life? what if it rains tomorrow, will he get wet?

I'm not attacking you, I'm sure you see that, but the longevity argument is pretty baseless as far as I'm concerned.
    I am just making the point as to why I question my supplement use based on the people that I personally know that have lived what I consider to be a pretty long time. I am definitely not suggesting that smoking is harmless. So, I am not sure of what longevity argument you are referring to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast