Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lay's Naturals vs Terra chips page

lavascript is offline Junior Member

Lay's Naturals vs Terra chips

Primal Fuel
    Before I start, I realize that the main goal of primal is to get off processed foods, and both of these are processed. But we're a family of six and sometimes we just don't have time to make it ourselves. We're doing a hell of a lot better than we were last month.

Have you seen the Terra brand chips? they're made from yams, parsnips, taro, yucca, etc, but they're fried in "and/or" oils, including canola. The Lay's are made from potatoes, but they're fried in sunflower oil and are topped with sea salt.

I know a lot of you will just say to avoid both. But if you were to choose one, which would it be?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I've never tried Terra's but when it comes to this there's no better or worse (or not enough to really point in one direction and not the other) so just go for taste. I find Lay's really salty, but I used to eat the "less salt" variety by the truckload. Neither of them is healthy obviously, but I doubt one is healthier than the other, the Terras would seem seemingly healthier if you get sweet potato or whatever.

Making your own chips is fun though, give it a shot sometime. It can be a family project and all that. Some make the fries, others make the guac, others take care of the bacon. Boom.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Its not that hard to consume real foods instead of these. Time is not really an issue. You can always pick up any type of fruit which takes no time or if you want crunch then go for some crunchy veggies like celery or carrots. But if you really want "chips" then make taro or yucca chips yourself with healthy fats. But honestly not having enough time isn't a great excuse to eat processed foods.

Even in a bind you can find certain fruits at gas stations these days.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

lavascript is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Too much Omega 6 and transfats. Avoid.
    No trans fats or hydrogenated oils in either.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I'd taste the Terra's and that should answer your question. They taste like cardboard.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    When you heat a polyunsaturated fat (like sunflower oil), it can become a transfat, per my recollection from nutrition class...

From Wikipedia:

Cooking with oils

Heating an oil changes its characteristics. Oils that are healthy at room temperature can become unhealthy when heated above certain temperatures. When choosing a cooking oil, it is important to match the oil's heat tolerance with the cooking method.[24]

A 2001 parallel review of 20-year dietary fat studies in the United Kingdom, the United States of America, and Spain[25] found that polyunsaturated oils like soya, canola, sunflower, and corn oil degrade easily to toxic compounds when heated. Prolonged consumption of burnt oils led to atherosclerosis, inflammatory joint disease, and development of birth defects. The scientists also questioned global health authorities' recommendation that large amounts of polyunsaturated fats be incorporated into the human diet without accompanying measures to ensure the protection of these fatty acids against heat- and oxidative-degradation.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated normally points to trans fat. But the USDA's guidelines is that the trans fat has to show up above 0.5 grams per serving in order for the food manufacturer to have to state that there is indeed trans fat in the product. So what does the food company do? They make the serving size smaller so that the trans fat level is below 0.5 grams. That way they can legally say there is 0 trans fat when there might still be trace amounts. That is why when you look at a small bag of chips it normally says like 2.5 servings when most people eat that small bag easily in one sitting. It is all a way to manipulate and confuse the reader/eater. Just stick to whole foods without a label and win
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I love lays chips and do have them once in a awhile. Very rarely though as it's easy to overeat them and I'm really trying to stay away from industrial oils.

The terra chips are too hard for my preferences. But at least they're made from more biologically appropriate tubers. So I'd go with Terra just based on nutritional value and inflammatory potential.

But for yum: lays.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    If your after sweet potato (plantain was good as well) chips these are the best I've tasted so far, sweet potato, salt and palm oil...that's it.

More sweet potato flavor that Terra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast