Thread: Sugar on occasion? page

z90xhccs is offline Junior Member

Sugar on occasion?

Shop Now
    So if insulin buildup requires consistently getting moderate amounts of high glycemic carbs (sugar, maltodextrin, whatever), is having some sugar every once in a while okay?
    I am golden during the week, but on the weekends sometimes I will be bad, like me and my girlfriend went out for icecream tonight and I even had a double scoop. I know. I'm bad.
    But I'm also 19, and incredibly concerned. Should I be? I mean given how rarely I eat sugar and even most carbs (aside from veggies, nuts, occasional fruit, and dairy that I am working on cutting out, and the small amount that stuff like coconut milk has), is it really something I need to worry about?
    So are there any negative side effects I need to worry about? Insulin related or no?
    Thanks guys,
    -Zach

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Here's some info for you to decide on your own how much sugar you can tolerate:

But right at the outset I can make two key statements that no one can refute:
    First, there is no physiological requirement for sugar; all human nutritional needs can be met in full without having to take a single spoon of white or brown or raw sugar, on its own or in any food or drink.
    Secondly, if only a small fraction of what is already known about the effects of sugar were to be revealed in relation to any other material used as a food additive, that material would promptly be banned.
    --John Yudkin, Pure, White, and Deadly

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about it, what you sound like you're going to do is fine. It is a chronic toxin, not an acute one (from the video posted above).

Also it isn't that high-glycemic carbs cause insulin resistance, but that the sugar fructose being metabolized in the liver to triglycerides does. I mean I suppose whenever you use insulin on the receptor it gets a bit smaller, but we have many ways of sensitizing it again so long as we aren't messed up in other ways.

So yeah, for sure watch that video with Robert Lustig. It is a treat to watch, especially if you can ignore him saying "mmkay mmkay", which I can, but some people were offended.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z90xhccs View Post
    So if insulin buildup requires consistently getting moderate amounts of high glycemic carbs (sugar, maltodextrin, whatever), is having some sugar every once in a while okay?
    I am golden during the week, but on the weekends sometimes I will be bad, like me and my girlfriend went out for icecream tonight and I even had a double scoop. I know. I'm bad.
    But I'm also 19, and incredibly concerned. Should I be? I mean given how rarely I eat sugar and even most carbs (aside from veggies, nuts, occasional fruit, and dairy that I am working on cutting out, and the small amount that stuff like coconut milk has), is it really something I need to worry about?
    So are there any negative side effects I need to worry about? Insulin related or no?
    Thanks guys,
    -Zach
    I wouldn't really sweat it. I think the main thing is that you should eliminate grains especially if you have gluten intolerance and dairy if you have lactose intolerance. Giving up processed food most of the time and replacing it with whole fresh foods is the key. If you cheat every once in awhile you should never make yourself feel guilty for it, do it and move on. It helps keep you honest

Even Mark has a teaspoon of sugar in his morning coffee.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Kaeden is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Best quote from that video.

Where ever there is frutose in nature there is waaaaaaaaay more fiber. Ever see a piece of sugar cane? It's a stick!
    If your food is fast, maybe you should fast.