Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perez Hilton's Nutrition Video- High protein can kill you? page

StarCharm is offline Member

Perez Hilton's Nutrition Video- High protein can kill you?

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so here is a video posted on Perez Hilton's Fitness Blog. I am obviously very skeptical of the claims but am wondering if there is any validity to it. I am fairly new to the Primal Diet and still trying to educate myself. Could a study this large (130,000 health professionals) be on to something?

Risks Of A High Protein Diet! Exlcusive | FitPerez.com

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    You're going to Perez Hilton for health and fitness advice? There's your problem right there.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Not at all, a friend emailed it to me to defend her vegetarianism. I was wondering what the primal community would say about it. Forgive me for being curious.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StarCharm View Post
    Not at all, a friend emailed it to me to defend her vegetarianism. I was wondering what the primal community would say about it. Forgive me for being curious.
    When did paleo become high protein? Excessive protein can be a problem, but not for the ridiculous ones the video link listed. The body converts excessive protein into glucose.

Health Correlator: How much dietary protein can you store in muscle? About 15 g/d if you are a gifted bodybuilder

Ultimately, you have to decide which information is correct for you.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    That was ridicules. mmm soy cheese

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Too much Perez Hilton would probably be deadly.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    The claim: there was a correlation in a population where those with a higher protein intake had a higher mortality rate. And they extrapolate that to say that protein will kill you dead? The problem with these studies is that there are always many many many more differences between the population groups than what they are correlating for and they are always poorly measured and controlled for, if they even try to control for relevant things. I would have to read the study, but there would be little point because it is epidemiology and only those who are interested in proving their presuppositions use such modes of "evidence".

Vegetarian epistemology: correlation equals causation if it ostensibly supports MY worldview. And apparently a Perez Hilton video constitutes intellectual rigor! These people don't care about the truth, they care about their dogma and they will cling to whatever they think supports it with their fingers in their ears.

Now as for protein, there can be negative aspects of too much of certain kinds of proteins and not enough of other kinds of proteins. Muscle meat has a lot of methionine and tryptophan, which we want to a degree but they have some negative effects. Best to have like 15% of the diet as those and then add in some gelatin (animal product!) which has none of those and much valuable glycine. It's a complicated issue. Protein has many benefits, even muscle meat to a degree. Good for preventing fatty liver High protein intake reduces intrahepatocellular lipid deposition in humans

Glycine is great for gut health and anti-inflammation. Dietary glycine prevents chemical-induced experime... [Gastroenterology. 2003] - PubMed result

Then all of the goodies found in meat need to be accounted for. I'm more in favor of less muscle meat than the average paleo, but does that mean eat none? Not even close, and not all proteins are the same.

edit: oh I remember this study. Lol! My words were not nearly harsh enough for these silly people. Here was the paleohacks coverage with plenty of links to bloggers poking holes in it Valid study? Low-Carbohydrate Diets and All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality - Paleo Hacks.com

Still, despite the fact that this study shows nothing, it still doesn't mean eat a very high protein diet. Moderate protein incorporating gelatinous parts with lots of fat. Mmm.
    Last edited by Stabby; 03-25-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Thank you, Stabby. You supported my immediate reaction to the video but said it much more eloquently. I have never before consumed this much protein (I now shoot for 80-100g a day being a 123lbs. female) and I guess I am just a little paranoid. I needed the reassurance.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    No prob. Edited for more info if you're interested in the real deal.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I really appreciate it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast