Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight rather than losing...UGH!!!! page

Mamaof4 is offline Junior Member

Gaining weight rather than losing...UGH!!!!

Shop Now
    Hi,
    After starting primal, I lost 11 lbs in about a month. That was between Jan. and Feb. I haven't lost anymore weight since then and have acually gained about 7 lbs.

I am eating lots of healthy fats, keeping my calories low (though not too low, nursing a baby right now), the only carbs I am getting are coming from veggies (no potatoes), trying to hit the 1 gram of protein per lean muscle mass @ 100 gm of protein a day (hitting it pretty regularly), and very little dairy (only in the form of cream in my coffee, plain greek yogart once or twice a month, and butter).

I eat 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil a day and get other forms of coconut as well (milk, shredded coconut, coconut cream concentrate)

I am just now starting to do actual exercises, but I do move around quite a bit everyday, I have 4 children...can't help but be somewhat busy! :-)

My goal weight is 130 lbs (or a size 6/7 pants...this is more my goal than what the scale says). Right now I am 165 lbs and in a 12 (though they are lose fitting).

Any suggestions would be fantastic! Thanks everyone!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    As this is always hard to accept, the fact is if the weight doesn't shift you have to cut back on everything until it does. I think we easily convince ourselves that because a food is good/primal/low carb that we don't have to restrict. For every person who doesn't have to watch calories, fats, portions--especially females--there are hundreds who do. I can't eat unlimited calories or fats, and from what you've written, you probably can't either. There are hundreds of posts on this site that support this. I wish you all the best of luck.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Do you use cron-o-meter or fitday and make sure to get optimal nutrition?

Paleo used to mean eating brains and liver, the gelatinous parts of an animal like connective tissue and bones, tons of greens/roots, berries, fish, high quality eggs (certainly not the conventional ones. Hopefully at least the flax-fed) and other nutrient-dense foods. Magnesium used to be much more plentiful and we used to get like 600mg of the stuff, and now we have to supplement or we will be deficient. We used to get tons of fiber, much of it inulin and we used to generate massive amounts of butyrate and other beneficial short-chain fats. We had a tissue ratio of omega 3:6 at about 1:2 and we really got a significant amount of omega 3 in the diet, but not from conventional fish oil, but animal brains. Salmon works just as well.

Judging by your other thread, I think that you are getting too much omega 6 fat and not nearly enough of many key nutrients, including fiber and gelatin. Your diet doesn't have much fish and fish oil is in truth not all that great save for the inordinately expensive stuff.

I am confident that you can do it, but it might take a little more effort. No biggie, but there is Paleo and there is Faileo. And there is Primal and there is umm.... ..... Diemal. Yeah.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Mamaof4 is offline Junior Member
    I am really not eating unlimited calories. I put my calories on fit day today and I was just under 1700 calories and today was a typical day. My carbs were under 50 grams, protein was 127 grams, and fat was 103 grams. I thought I was supposed to be aeating plenty of good fats, meat and fresh produce...that is what I am doing. Am I doing it wrong?

kurite is offline Senior Member
    An example day for you would be good.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaof4 View Post
    I am really not eating unlimited calories. I put my calories on fit day today and I was just under 1700 calories and today was a typical day. My carbs were under 50 grams, protein was 127 grams, and fat was 103 grams. I thought I was supposed to be aeating plenty of good fats, meat and fresh produce...that is what I am doing. Am I doing it wrong?
    I shouldn't have said "unlimited"; rather, "more than what my body needs." I rarely eat more than 12-1400 cals/30cbs per day. Some of us have slower engines and therefore have to cut back to what would be too low for the average person.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    I would say that, especially while nursing, counting calories shouldn't even cross your mind as long as those calories are coming from good sources. I would also think Stabby's comments about nutrients and omega 3/6 ratios will be even more important for you. Good luck, and be patient...it will come.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    That's how many calories I eat on a high calorie day. If I ate that much every day, I'd gain weight. That is just me though, there are people who can eat that many calories and lose. I'm not one of them.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Hi,
    After starting primal, I lost 11 lbs in about a month. That was between Jan. and Feb. I haven't lost anymore weight since then and have acually gained about 7 lbs.
    Losing and gaining what? Lean or fat?

Michelle’s Second Weight Loss Update | Michelle's Low Carb Lifestyle

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I'm not too sure on this one, but no way could I eat 1,700 calories a day.

I went from over 310 to 200 on strict low carb pretty fast, but I still can't eat that much. I don't do any veggies with carbs or fruits. No bread, no butter, no milk.

When I read people saying "eat all the fat you want, it makes you full, and yer good," I think, "Yeah, good for you, but not good for me!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast