Thread: Sharing my sausage "work-around" page

spicegirl is offline Senior Member

Sharing my sausage "work-around"

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I tend not to buy sausage. They usually have some sort of sugar, which I just don't eat.

Instead of going all over the place looking for a "clean" sausage option, I invented a little "work-around." I cook some ground meat (can use ground pork, or a blend of the two). As I cook it, I toss in some freshly ground fennel seeds (I leave mine a little course), some ground cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning and a little sage. Whatever I feel like grabbing, I toss it in. The fennel is key though.

I sometimes pre-cook the ground meat plain and then warm it up with the spices and throw in some scrambled eggs. This is my new favorite breakfast!

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Yup, it's usually fennel for me too, plus paprika and garlic. I'm lucky to get a nice fatty ground pork (butcher tells me it's about 30% fat) so it's just delicious. I throw some egg in too, on the reasoning that the coagulation keeps the fat in the patty instead of oozing out. Even if it doesn't work that way, it's delicious!

Great idea! We have a favorite soup recipe in my house that uses hot Italian sausage - out of the casing! Fantastic idea. Now my "Zuppa Toscana" can be grass-fed! I can't believe I never thought of that. Yup, it's the fennel and peppers (and sometimes sage) that makes it "sausage." Thanks! And to think, I was going to invest in the sausage attachment to my Kitchenaid... well, I still might, but now it can wait.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I love making sausage patties with ground pork, an egg, fennel, a touch of cinnamon, and italian seasonings. They are so good, and I can make up a bunch at a time on the weekends so I have quick breakfasts ready during the week!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

markimus919 is offline Junior Member
    If you want your own link sausage just take some ground pork/chicken/beef and mix in your own spices, let it sit in the fridge covered for a day. Then go to your butcher/meat department/etc and ask for empty sausage casings. You usually have to ASK for these. They aren't on the shelf.

If you can't find them in your area try :
    Home Page for Wells Pork and Beef in Burgaw, NC | Wells Pork and Beef
    The Sausage Maker, Inc. - Sausage Making Equipment & Supplies - Casings & Accessories

You can freeze these, making a large batch in advance, and take some out when you need them.
    Also check your local farmer's market. Ours has 5 vendors who sell sugar free, all meat, nitrate free, no filler based sausages.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Yes. I do that often. Not big on fennel. I would do sage, thyme and/or rosemary, with cayenne, garlic and onion powders.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.