Thread: Sugar-free bacon (nitrate free too)? page

spicegirl is offline Senior Member

Sugar-free bacon (nitrate free too)?

Shop Now
    I notice that bacon is a big deal around here. I'm not opposed to it, but is anyone able to find sugar-free bacon that doesn't have nitrates and other junk in it?

I eat quite clean. So, ingredients are a big deal for me. I simply say no to sugar, even if it is "less than 2%"

Thanks for any info.

spicegirl

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    Try to find a place nearby that sells side pork/pork belly, they may have it at whole foods or a similar store. It's the same cut that they get bacon from, but no sugar or nitrates. They should slice it bacon-style for you, just add salt and pepper when cooking and you're good to go!

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Oh, ok. Didn't know that. I'm not very good with meat cuts, etc. I never have been. Thanks for this handy info.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables have nitrates, so if you want to avoid those, you'd want to find something that's cured with only salt (lots of "no nitrates/nitrites" bacon uses celery salt, which is a significant source of sodium nitrate). Best bet would really be to make your own, it's pretty easy.

My Whole Foods doesn't have belly, but you could ask for it special, and other butchers definitely will. Try starting out by rubbing 1/4 cup salt per 5 lbs of belly and putting the whole thing in a bag. Keep it in the fridge for 7 days, turning it over every day. At the end rinse it out and cut a slice out from the middle of the slab and cook, taste for saltiness. If too salty, soak the rest of the bacon in cold water for 1 hour and make a note to use less salt next time.

nosrek is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl View Post
    I notice that bacon is a big deal around here. I'm not opposed to it, but is anyone able to find sugar-free bacon that doesn't have nitrates and other junk in it?

I eat quite clean. So, ingredients are a big deal for me. I simply say no to sugar, even if it is "less than 2%"

Thanks for any info.

spicegirl
    Any luck finding sugar-free bacon? Another thread recommended Applegate's Natural Sunday Bacon at Whole Foods but the Applegate website ingredients say "less than 2% sugar". =(