Thread: Could a lack of exercise be preventing weight loss? page

SonyaJane is offline Senior Member

Could a lack of exercise be preventing weight loss?

Shop Now
    Howdy,

I've been primal for a month now and lost 7lbs, taking me down to 15 stone 8lbs. However, I lost this in the first two weeks, and I have since lost a few more lbs but then put it back on again. I'm quite sure I'm rather insulin resistant and still feel light headed at least 3 times a day. I can't eat just 2 big meals per day, I have to eat 4-5 times a day otherwise I can't function. I am eating a lot less than I was before I started though, and I'm feeling other benefits, such as feeling calmer (I used to be very anxious) and my libido has increased dramatically.

I don't eat dairy (apart from butter), no fruit, no caffeine and no high carb veggies. I only eat meat, poultry, fish, low carb veggies, avacado, lemons, limes, coconut, butter and eggs. A typical days eating consists of: Scrambled eggs fried with butter, slice of pork belly, celery, romaine lettuce, cucumber, lamb leg (slowly roasted in beef stock with onions), beef in some form (brisket, home made jerky, or rib eye steak). Other days I have a fish dish made with coconut milk and thai herbs and spices, mackerel, or some salmon. I eat a lot of good quality meat (from the local butcher), and the fish are mostly wild. I eat a lot of fat and low carb - possibly too low somtims and I can feel better with after eating some green veggies.

Any ideas as to why my weight loss may have stalled and why I'm still feeling light headed? I always feel hungry and light headed after going for a walk or doing any form of exercise, even if I eat just before I start. It seems that my body is still waiting for the easy access carbs for fuel and not using the fat. I haven't exercised very much at all over the last month because I have been at my computer writing a chapter for a book, but the draft has been submitted now so I have time to go for walks etc. Do you think it could be persistant insulin resistance that will improve with more exercise?

Thanks in advance for your time.

S

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    It would help if you plugged a typical day's menu into a calorie / macronutrient counter and posted the results. But you appear to be going through low-carb flu. Some people get over it in a few days, but it can take a month or two for others. Either way, you owe it to yourself to ride it out.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

SonyaJane is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for your reply - would fitday be a good place to do this?

I will definitely ride out the low carb flu. I thought I had got over that after 3 days but the light headedness has returned recently. Perhaps I just need more carbs (in the form of veggies)? I forgot to mention that I have pcos so that makes it harder to lose weight and crack the insulin resistance.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I know I am in the minority here, but I think good training programs (like starting strength) are complementary to optimizing body composition.

It would be helpful to see a breakdown, but the composition of your diet is pretty good, though it might be helpful to include more veggies.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Yeah the amount of WEIGHT you lose is hardly affected by exercise (well, cardio can increase weight loss, or stall it if the deficit becomes too big from it), but strength training will improve the fat/muscle percentage of the weight you lose, meaning you end up more muscular at the same weight rather than being skinny.