Thread: Seared Bok Choy with Bacon Vinaigrette page

ennasirk is offline Senior Member

Seared Bok Choy with Bacon Vinaigrette

Primal Fuel
    Mmm ... love Mark Bittman. I imagine subbing olive oil would work pretty well.

Makes: 4 servings
    Time: 25 minutes

An unusual side dish thatís lovely with a nice piece of salmon or other full-flavored fatty fish. You can grill the bok choy instead of searing it if you like.

Other vegetables you can use: bok choy, Napa cabbage (cut lengthwise into long spears), endive (halved lengthwise), or radicchio (quartered). Recipe from How to Cook Everything.

1 1/2 to 2 pounds Shanghai or (baby) bok choy, parboiled and shocked
    6 ounces bacon, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    5 tablespoons neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn

1. Cut the bok choy in half lengthwise and put the cut side down on paper towels to drain. Meanwhile, put the bacon in a small pan over medium-high heat. When it starts to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium and cook until crisp and the fat is rendered, about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the vinegar, sprinkle with salt and a good amount of pepper, and then whisk in 3 tablespoons of the oil (it wonít fully emulsify). Set aside.

2. Put a large, wide skillet over high heat. When itís very hot, add the remaining neutral oil and put a few pieces of bok choy, cut side down, in the pan (it will spatter, so be careful). Do not overcrowd the pan; you want at least an inch on all sides between the pieces. Cook the bok choy without moving it until the cut side is dark brown and slightly charred. Continue cooking the bok choy in batches.

3. Pile the seared bok choy on a platter in a serving bowl; give the bacon vinaigrette a stir and drizzle it over the bok choy. Serve warm or at room temperature.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, hi recipe. Get in my mouth.

I'm definitely going to try this. I've sauteed brussels sprouts and cabbage in bacon oil w/ a bit of vinegar and coconut oil, but I've never even tried Bok Choy. I've always wanted to though - this will give me an excuse to go get some!

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress