Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Step away from my bacon - the primal frolicks of climbergirl page

climbergirl is offline Senior Member

Step away from my bacon - the primal frolicks of climbergirl

Shop Now
    After much procrastination and jealous journal-stalking (as well as encouragement - thanks Coconut Girl!) I have finally taken the leap and started a journal. Mind you, I am horrendous at keeping up with these things, so hopefully this will help (Actually I'm a total attention whore and just want people to follow my uneventful college life haha)

Anyways, my background is kinda sappy so I'll give an abridged rundown: relatively normal childhood, stable family environment, etc. Was in an abusive relationship my junior year of high school that left me pretty messed up, but I rebounded well (or so I thought). Summer before coming to college, started micromanaging food and exercising excessively and ended up dropping 30 lbs (going from around 110 to 80, which for being around 5 feet tall is a big deal) over the course of a few months.That was a year and a half ago. Since then, I've gained most of it back, though according to the numbers I'm still a bit underweight at around 96/97 lbs, but my body fat is back above 12% (I used to be 9%) and I'm feeling strong, hoping Primal will help me continue to feel that way. My main sport is rock climbing, but I'm a huge outdoors person in general and now a recent Primal convert (since mid-January)

My younger brother, a huge carnivore, has recently re-accepted me as his sister now that I have reincorporated the 3 B's as he calls them: beef, bacon, and butter lol (I used to be a fatphobic vegetarian); though now he threatens to disown me again since I don't eat bread haha.

Current "Stats":
    19 (20 in exactly two weeks!!), sophomore Meteorology major, Natural Resources minor at Rutgers University (NJ), about 85-90% primal (though I need to control my nut consumption lol)

Alright, that was the boring stuff, let the frolicking begin!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Backs slowly away from the bacon. Welcome and climb on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Hail Bacon and Frolix!

Alrighty, so technically it's "tomorrow" here in the lovely state of NJ, not to mention cold as bollocks (hello, it's SPRING - it's no longer allowed to be freezing). Overall a pretty successful and productive day. Did absolutely zero homework, but plenty of cleaning, shopping and domestic chores (like bathroom cleaning - I co-occupy with a 17-year-old younger brother and it gets GRIMY the minute I leave). This tends to happen whenever I venture away from school for a weekend to go home - but the food is a-mazing. I wish I had photographed my breakfast; it looked (and tasted) delicious. Two eggs fried in bacon grease, two slices bacon, sauteed mushrooms and steak/pork from a leftover Chipotle salad in more bacon grease, and the remaining lettuce still covered in cheese, sour cream and meat juice. Nomnomnomnom! That was gone in a flash. And can anyone say LAMB CHOPS for dinner? YUMMMM. Add in some asparagus, a tiny bit of sweet potato (this was a compromise for mother dear), sauteed onions and mushrooms and a crapload of butter and olive oil (that was my addition) and you have a superb primal feast right there. Dessert was some frozen coconut milk "ice cream" with shredded coconut flakes, cinnamon, vanilla and a few slivered almonds (slight cheat - I'm supposed to be trying to control my nut binges and I went overboard yesterday... can anyone say half a jar of TJ's raw cruchy? ooops)

The 'rents (mostly mother) are still not on board with the whole cutting grains thing - I hear it whenever they respond to my brother about something. Today it was bagels - "Oh, your sister doesn't eat bagels anymore. They have wheat and she doesn't eat wheat. Yes, that means egg bagels too..." etc. Oh well. They don't control my life, and I guess they'll just have to get used to my diet changes. It has gotten better, but it's still a little annoying and sad that I need to explain my "strange" diet whenever I go home. Anyways, enough moping - I won Parchisi! We played after my bro and I dropped my grandmother back off at the nursing home where she lives, then watched Swiss Family Robinson. Now I want to live on a deserted island and live in a tree house...

Anywho, back to school tomorrow. And the rock wall (!!!).

Sheesh, it's already Tuesday.

So Sunday turned into a cheat day... well the only non-primal cheat was ice cream (and it was the good stuff with cream and no preservatives and whatnot). There's a place near my house called Halo Farms that produces its own non-hormone milk and ice cream and I had bough three pints in different flavors which were living in the freezer at my friend's house since we would watch Dr. Who (best show EVERR!!!!) and eat ice cream (fortunately half the time we would forget we had the ice cream and just not eat any). We still had a pint and a half left. Between the two of us we managed to finish all of that off while watching Monty Python clips on Youtube. All in all I probably ate a little less than half (it was a 40/60 split) but I'm not going to dwell on it - it was good ice cream, good company, and excellent Monty Python sketches.

Now that I'm back at school it's upsetting that I can't get beef on a regular basis - apparently Rutgers doesn't cater exclusively to us Primals (surprise surprise) BUT they had sliders yesterday at lunch, so I grabbed a butt-load of little slider patties and satisfied my beef craving with those. SO GOOD! Still trying to incorporate more protein in my diet, so I need to up the meat load. Rock wall was open and I did that for about an hour and a half after classes - back and forearms are sore from that. One of the guys there had me trying this one thing where you hang from a hangboard (or pullup bar) and go up into a pullup, hold for 7 seconds, lower to a 90 degree angle with your elbows and hold another 7 seconds, then lower till your shoulders are just engaged and hold for 7 seconds. Then do it three more times. Without dropping off the bar. I wanted to cry during the last one haha. BUT my shoulders are feeling all good sorts of sore so I think I'll be keeping up with those. Well off to class; ah the life of a college student :P
    My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

Coconut Girl is offline Senior Member
    woohoo!!! about time!

i find it ironic (perhaps not the best word) that most of the people/friends i've met from NJ or have ever lived in NJ are Rutgers alumnae--NOT KIDDING... lol how awesome is that?! it's nuts! me and NJ just have some weird karma

Well it's good karma either way lol.

I need to post some pics soon. As soon as I get motivated enough to find my camera and use it haha. And here I am writing and procrastinating and snacking on spoonfuls of shredded coconut. Oh well, embrace the fat! :P
    My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You're coming to the NYC meet-up right? we'll sneak you some gin, young'in. That's the day before my birthday but I believe a day after yours right?

Yep, day after the big 2-oh lol. And where's it at? That way I can def let you know

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbergirl View Post
    Yep, day after the big 2-oh lol. And where's it at? That way I can def let you know
    Here's the thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread25791.html

I told Neoberzerker that if my gf and I drive we can take him (and his gf) along, we could probably fit you as well. We may not actually drive into the city, but at least to Seacaucus or Hoboken to take the trains... however if you're comfortable with the city we can just see you there for some carnivorous action.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast