Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Step away from my bacon - the primal frolicks of climbergirl page 2

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Congrats on starting a journal! It's great motivation for sure. Since going primal 2 months ago, I have never felt better in my life and have no doubt that it's the way to go if health is your concern. If you need any support, we're here for you!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

climbergirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, and ditto on the feel-good aspect! I still find it mind-boggling how I can eat a diet that's 70% fat-based but look as lean as I do. Haha, CW can go die in a hole for all I care, I'm not turning back :P
    My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

Coconut Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbergirl View Post
    CW can go die in a hole for all I care, I'm not turning back :P
    *thumbs up* i'm still playing with my ratios--i think i was eating a bit too much fat, frankly... and since i'm trying to lose weight, my body already has TONS of fat to burn off--i just need to find the sweet spot in grams of fat to where MY body fat starts burning off, not the fat i just ate!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Girl View Post
    *thumbs up* i'm still playing with my ratios--i think i was eating a bit too much fat, frankly... and since i'm trying to lose weight, my body already has TONS of fat to burn off--i just need to find the sweet spot in grams of fat to where MY body fat starts burning off, not the fat i just ate!
    Yeah after a certain point you want to watch fat, but dropping carbs does work to budge off the fat. I've been pimping this link out a fair bit, so here goes again: CrossFit On a Low Carb Paleo Diet: Mat Lalonde Reporting I'm going to dabble with some VLC to see what's what. I won't be doing carb re-feeds for at least two weeks straight (harder than it sounds, I'm surrounded by yummy taters) but shooting for three weeks to a month of reduced carb to see how my body reacts. The menu the guy posts has a lot of coconut (fat) which he credits with fending off insulin resistance (in the muscles, a different kind of IR) and helping with the fat loss... It's paleo, so no dairy, so I'm also going to try to give that a shot. I already started by putting coconut milk in my tea and it's not too terrible. I think the SOURCE of fat is important, so non-dairy is better than dairy.

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    Haha, CW can go die in a hole for all I care, I'm not turning back :P
    +1
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the journal scene (such as it is), climbergirl! Enjoy it! Looking forward to reading more.

<wishes he was in the NYC area to go to the meet-up>
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Coconut Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Yeah after a certain point you want to watch fat, but dropping carbs does work to budge off the fat. I've been pimping this link out a fair bit, so here goes again: CrossFit On a Low Carb Paleo Diet: Mat Lalonde Reporting I'm going to dabble with some VLC to see what's what. I won't be doing carb re-feeds for at least two weeks straight (harder than it sounds, I'm surrounded by yummy taters) but shooting for three weeks to a month of reduced carb to see how my body reacts. The menu the guy posts has a lot of coconut (fat) which he credits with fending off insulin resistance (in the muscles, a different kind of IR) and helping with the fat loss... It's paleo, so no dairy, so I'm also going to try to give that a shot. I already started by putting coconut milk in my tea and it's not too terrible. I think the SOURCE of fat is important, so non-dairy is better than dairy.
    i've been doing my best to reduce/remove dairy from my diet but i still have a bit of yogurt left so i'm just taking it as it comes... but i agree, the source of the fat IS important! i've known this for a long time but have just been plain ass stubborn/bratty about giving it up LOL i LOVE coconut (duh, can you tell by the screen name? LOL)... coconut EVERYTHING i say... hah! also, thanks for the link--Patrick actually linked me via you!

at this point, i'm just taking things day by day... a little bit of planning here and there so i don't end up overeating, etc but otherwise just doing my best NOT to obsess... i've been on a slippery slope with food and have been working hard to overcome a few struggles so i'm doing my best to take care of myself--all while trying to accomplish my personal health/fitness goals! it's a bit of a challenge but reading articles like the one you linked me to, etc definitely helps

Definitely agree with the coconut love (as I sit here munching on shredded coconut lol). The VLC looks interesting - what is it exactly? I'm trying to make my fat sources less dairy based and more meat and coconut based. Course that's hard when the DINING HALL HAS NO BEEF. A$$holes... depriving me of my MEAT.

As far as today goes, I'm scarily below average in terms of food consumption - I think my DailyPlate tracker thing has me somewhere between 1000 and 1100 cals. But strangely enough I feel fine/aren't all that hungry. Hmmm. And I don't want to just snack on stuff to meet a calorie "goal" - I just find it interesting that I can scarf down 2900 one day and 1100 another yet feel the same. In terms of working out, just riding around campus on my uber cool hipster road bike (yes, I'm one of THOSE people haha) and I did this 300 rep timed workout thing of 10 exercises (30 of each) which took about 20 minutes and left me a bit sore (30 pullups - OW much?). Taking a day off from the climbing wall considering my back and shoulders are achy - that and I have homework. Urggg. But I WILL BE BACK tomorrow!
    My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

Ok, scratch the calorie deficit lol. I just polished off a sizable amount of macadamia nuts.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Ok, scratch the calorie deficit lol. I just polished off a sizable amount of macadamia nuts.
    Yeah, that's a reason I personally ditched nuts. One episode of Community or Big Bang Theory and without realizing it, 2-4 handfuls of nuts later... well... Doh'eth!

I find nuts are great for a day out and about, but can be brutal if you're just hanging out. Just my experiences with 'em. I do love me some almonds, though.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast