Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Step away from my bacon - the primal frolicks of climbergirl page 11

climbergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Dinner was a bit early today; I have a paper to finish that I've been avoiding all day and wanted to start working on it without being interrupted by a need to go make food. Anyways, here was my feasting:

Lamb chops (3 tiny ones that were likely odds and ends)
    3 asparagus stalks with butter
    The remainder of my avocado (which was about 1/4 to 1/3 of a whole one)
    Small handful of frozen raspberries (and I mean small handful...)

My stomach is already telling me that wasn't enough food, so I think I might grab almonds or pistachios on the way out the door later
    My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

One of the worst things about my schedule is what happens to my sleep: I went to bed close to 3 AM and got up for work this morning at 6:30 to be out the door for work (oh the joys of being the weather producer of the Rutgers morning show). I can't function on 3.5 hours of sleep - oh, I'll be awake and alert, but I'll be crashing hard later today. Sleep is definitely something that needs improvement; otherwise I'll be walking around like a zombie for the rest of my life as an undergrad (*shudder*)

Anyways, last night I had a late-night snack of some coffee with half-and-half, and a small bag of pistachios and a big handful of almonds as anticipated (I KNEW dinner wasn't going to be enough). I really should decrease nut consumption because I can just eat and eat and eat them. Part of that is also mindless eating. Anyone have any tips for that?
    My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

likwidoxigen is offline Senior Member
    I found that for my mindless eating I had the best luck, just admitting that I was hungry and having something high volume, like 2 cups of spinach with gobs of butter pepper and salt. Or If i really felt like I needed more carbs to stave off the "flu" or because of activity I'd go with a cup and a quarter of peas with butter salt and pepper. Fried cabbage or sauerkraut is a favorite but if you don't have a czech/polish/hungarian background it may not be your cup of tea.
    Ooh, also pork rinds are a good filling snack as well.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Late-night snack of coffee?! That's the first thing to go. I've been an overnighter/late-nighter for pretty much my whole life, so I know how hard it can be to switch over, but it's probably the first thing that needs to be fixed. The longer I try to fix it, the more I realize it has less to do with a lack of self-discipline. It takes some experimenting to fix the ol' body clock. Why do you think you go to bed so late?
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Logging my food before I hit the hay (before 1 AM - woohoo!)

Breakfast/Brunch: 1 egg cooked in butter with ~2 cups of broccoli/spinach/green peppers and topped with a handful of shredded cheese, a sizable avocado sliver, and 3 marrow bones broiled in the toaster

Snack: Carrots and the rest of last night's almonds (~2 handfuls)

Dinner: Broiled salmon topped with bacon strips and a sprinkle of oregano and italian cheese, green beans sauteed with garlic and bacon fat, and another sliver of avocado (probably about 1/6th of an entire one)

After that I (proudly) didn't eat anything else! I felt a little hungry later but I ignored it; my stomach is going to need to get used to not consuming vast amounts of crappy food on a regular basis. Yay self-control!

Quote Originally Posted by likwidoxigen View Post
    I found that for my mindless eating I had the best luck, just admitting that I was hungry and having something high volume, like 2 cups of spinach with gobs of butter pepper and salt. Or If i really felt like I needed more carbs to stave off the "flu" or because of activity I'd go with a cup and a quarter of peas with butter salt and pepper. Fried cabbage or sauerkraut is a favorite but if you don't have a czech/polish/hungarian background it may not be your cup of tea.
    Ooh, also pork rinds are a good filling snack as well.
    My dad's side of the family is polish lol, but yea ditto on the pork rinds... I love those things

Quote Originally Posted by Lex26 View Post
    Late-night snack of coffee?! That's the first thing to go. I've been an overnighter/late-nighter for pretty much my whole life, so I know how hard it can be to switch over, but it's probably the first thing that needs to be fixed. The longer I try to fix it, the more I realize it has less to do with a lack of self-discipline. It takes some experimenting to fix the ol' body clock. Why do you think you go to bed so late?
    Well, the coffee was decaf so I figured I'd be ok; in regards to going to bed so late, it's not because I want to - there's just a lot of stuff that I always end up needing to work on for school and classes, etc.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    But in undergrad, I really really didn't have enough hours in the day - God, I was mean to my body during college. I know I still tend to work "better" late at night and/or I just procrastinate until the end of the day. I now realize that could be because I have cortisol problems. Do you find you're doing the same thing, or is there sincerely not time during the rest of the day to do it?
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Quote Originally Posted by Lex26 View Post
    But in undergrad, I really really didn't have enough hours in the day - God, I was mean to my body during college. I know I still tend to work "better" late at night and/or I just procrastinate until the end of the day. I now realize that could be because I have cortisol problems. Do you find you're doing the same thing, or is there sincerely not time during the rest of the day to do it?
    No, I definitely do the same thing - my level of productivity is much higher at night and I am a seasoned procrastinator. What is the correlation between this and cortisol?

Ok, foodsies for yesterday and half of today:

Yesterday, breakfast was a 2 egg omelet with peppers, onions, and spinach with some cheese melted in-between and about 1/6th of an avocado. I had a cookie and a brownie at a meeting that I was at (I know, bad me, but I'm not going to stress over it) but I felt fine just having one of each - normally I would've had 3 or 4 of each (yay for some self-control). Dinner was a half cup of ground beef sauteed with spinach and broccoli and spaghetti sauce (the kind without crap), then tossed with spaghetti squash and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. At Relay for Life early this morning, this morning being at 4 AM, I had a handful of M&Ms (again, not great) and ants on a log (celery with PB and raisins) - not stellar but I figure that and the brownie are my 20%. It's not going to be a regular thing.

This morning for breakfast (though technically it was lunch - I went to bed at 7 AM after coming home from Relay then slept till 1:15 PM), I had some of the left-over ground beef with spinach, 1/6th of an avocado, and and egg with the remaining of my shredded cheese.

Grocery shopping tomorrow and I'm going to try and not pick up anymore cheese; I'll get extra bacon instead lol

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast