Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandbag Workouts page

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

Sandbag Workouts

Shop Now
    I've just archived a load of sandbag fitness workouts on my blog so if you want some training ideas, take a look:

Sandbag Fitness: Workouts

Oh, and todays workout might make you sick:

Sandbag Fitness: Todays Workout - Sandbag Strength Complex

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    THIS is the weekend I make my sandbag and try my first workout. No excuses. I’ll use one of yours as a starter, not sure which yet, but I look forward to the pain.

Hey coach this store is near me, could you take a look at which bag you think is best? looks like they're all canvas, it's an Army Surplus store. Thanks in advance. I'll call them and find out if they have it in stock, maybe you can give me two selections in case one is out of stock? I'd like to pick it up today.

Duffle Bags

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    What are some ideas for inexpensive sandbags suitable for workouts?
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    What are some ideas for inexpensive sandbags suitable for workouts?
    Check out the link I posted, look up an army surplus store in your area, looks like you could get one for under $20-30 depending on size. Some stores without websites might even be cheaper. I don’t care to throw down up to $50-60 on one though, it’s an investment, and I’ve spent more on less useful stuff in the past.

These three all look ok:

3339 OLIVE DRAB TOP LOAD CANVAS DUFFLE BAG

3488 BLACK SIDE ZIPPER CANVAS DUFFLE BAGS

4479 SIDE ZIPPER CANVAS CAMOUFLAGE DUFFLE BAGS

But to be honest it's impossible to really tell until you've got it in your hands - just make sure the sand is sealed inside something before going into the duffel bag.

The store on my blog has examples of stuff-sacks that can work well and they are very cheap too. Just buy a bag of builders sand, put it inside the stuff sack (maybe with a little extra duck tape too seal any holes) and away you go. I got about 70 workouts out of mine before it split then I just added a bit more duck tape so it's still going now (sort of).

Sandbag Fitness: Store

Thanks! I'm going to fill up freezer bags and tape them up I think. Ross Enamait suggests going with about 5lb mini mags and securing those, while still allowing for sand movement inside the bags, to minimize leakage. I trust that he’s tried several variations and if he advocates that one it must mean that the mini-bags don’t take away from the unpredictability of the sandbag. It’ll take a while and I’m going to have to eyeball for weight (don’t have any kind of scale) but it will also make it easier to adjust weight going forward.

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Thanks! I'm going to fill up freezer bags and tape them up I think. Ross Enamait suggests going with about 5lb mini mags and securing those, while still allowing for sand movement inside the bags, to minimize leakage. I trust that he’s tried several variations and if he advocates that one it must mean that the mini-bags don’t take away from the unpredictability of the sandbag. It’ll take a while and I’m going to have to eyeball for weight (don’t have any kind of scale) but it will also make it easier to adjust weight going forward.
    This is the approach I took when building my sand bag last week. I used 1 quart ziplock bags and scooped three 8 fl oz cups into each bag. This left the bags at ~ 85% full, which is a littler more full than I would recommend. The bags weigh about 3.3 lbs, and a 50lb play sand bag filled 15 of the 1 quart ziplocks. I used duct tape to cover the zipped seal. Then I put this bag inside of another ziplock bag and used duct tape on its seal. For now I'm just using a handful of these mini-bags in a backpack for weighted pullups and pushups.

FWIW, the quality of the ziplock bags doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I got the ZipLoc brand with the little plastic zipper/slider dealie, and if I were to do it over again I'd just get the regular kind with the seal that presses together. Regardless of the brand of bag or type of seal, I think that the plastic will end up tearing sooner rather than later if subjected to some of those sandbag workouts I've seen. If you completely wrap the innermost bag with duct tape, I think it would last waaaaaay longer. If you want it to last, I'd recommend spending the ~ $5 on a roll of good duct tape and going to town. If you get a 50+ yard roll, it should easily be enough to cover 100lb worth of sand in those mini bags.

Like you, I'm shopping local milsurp stores (and Amazon) for a suitable bag for the sandbag workouts. FYI, the bags that Coach Palfrey linked to are also available on Amazon, just in case you don't want to wait for your local store to get them in stock.
    Last edited by The Big L; 03-25-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    I purchased an olive colored canvas bag from Amazon, the smallest one they sell, and used it as the shell to make my sandbag. On the inside I used two 3 mil Husky construction bags (one inside the other, you can find these at Lowe's, link below) and filled them with 25 pounds of play sand. I squeezed out all the air I could and wrapped the top with zip ties and finished it with duct tape. I can fit 6 of these bags into the canvas bag (150 pounds total). I've torn all the handles off the canvas bag but it's still 100% functional after more than a year of heavy use and has never sprung a leak.

I think the bag cost me about $25 to make, total.

Husky 42-Gallon Clean-up Bags:
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Canvas Military Duffle Bag
    http://www.amazon.com/Canvas-Militar...1080160&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Jokaman70; 03-25-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    For a long time I just put 2 25kg/55lb sandbags into a rucksack and lifted that. I left the sand in the polythene bags that it came packed in and they never split. Plus, they have enough space inside them to allow the sand to move around. I guess what I'm trying to say is just experiment and see what works. And good luck!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast