Thread: Might as well.... so... yep page

LisaLS is offline Senior Member

Might as well.... so... yep

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Been lurking on the site for the past week, might as well start posting!
    I just ordered the Primal Blueprint book yesterday, but my husband and I have been on a paleo diet for the past 3 weeks now. I've read Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution book and just felt like this would be another good one as well, specially with as much success as it seems to have

My name is Lisa. I'm 31yo and my husband is 32. I first heard about paleo eating on a message board I frequent for women who suffer from PCOS.
    After suffering through my 2nd miscarriage, I just felt like I needed to do something to help my body. No idea what caused my losses, but I truly believe that my unhealthy eating habits which didn't help the insulin resistance and who knows what else may have been a factor.
    I read that eating paleo could help with fertility and after reading exactly what the diet required, I wanted to give it a shot.
    I'm 5'2" and currently 204lbs (my heaviest weight was 250 2yrs ago). I lost 4lbs in my first week going paleo and hubby lost 5lbs. I didn't lose anything the next week thanks to water retention from medication, but DH lost an additional 5lbs. He doesn't see it, but I can tell that his body is already changing.
    This 3rd week, we weigh in tomorrow and take measurements, so we'll see if there is any more loss
    Hubby is only on board b/c I cook all of our meals, so he has to eat what I feed him lol. He's been good though w/ a few cheats here and there and a few complaints here and there :P lol

I still haven't really incooperated exercise in to my life yet though. Honestly, I just don't like it and I'm lazy. I wouldn't have been a very good cavewoman heh.
    I am working on that though. Bought some new toe shoes that I still need to get used to wearing and taking things slowly.

I hope to first achieve my short term goal and finally get in to the 100's concerning weight. What I'm truly hoping to get out of all of this is to help get my body healthier for a pregnancy. Get control of my insulin problem and the PCOS, and boost my fertility. We've just started another round of fertility injections and I want a sticky pregnancy and a take home baby.
    I plan on sticking to a primal/paleo style of eating during the pregnancy (as much as can be done), and using this new style of living to lose the baby weight and get to my ultimate weight loss goal of well, whatever my body is meant to be at and hopefully more children the ole natural way.

I've found this change SO much easier than I had feared it would be. I've had absolutely no cravings for junk food. Now I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it sometimes. Like yesterday when DH had to buy some candy for work and I saw my all time fav holiday candy, Reese's peanut buttercup shaped like an egg, but I'm not really craving it if that makes sense.
    Our diets are still not perfectly paleo though. We can't afford grass fed/free range anything, or well much of anything because of the expensive fertility treatments, but we're doing what we can and it's paying off. I would love to go in on a grassfed cow with some family one day though. Give it a try and see if it really does taste better

And I think I've rambled on enough. Hopefully my introduction isn't too difficult to follow
    Last edited by LisaLS; 03-25-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Lisa!

I'm so sorry to hear about your previous troubles with pregnancy. Good news, though! You're on the right track with paleo.

As far as exercise is concerned, I have no doubt that taking a short walk (30 mins, or more if you feel up to it) on a daily basis would greatly benefit your health and help with your preexisting insulin resistance.

Best of luck to you in your new life!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lisa! Welcome!

Grass fed, free range and organic are great. But you don't have to do them to be perfectly primal. Any, you don't have to do it perfectly. Take your best shot. If you hit 80%, it will do great things for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Howdy, Lisa!

Well, guess what? You've come to the right place. I don't have PCOS, but a lot of women here do and are doing great. You can search the archives for PCOS threads, and I know there is a PCOS introductory thread here in this room (if you haven't already seen it).

Don't worry about the grass-fed thing for right now.

As far as exercise, I cut myself some slack for the first one month to let things settle a bit and for my energy to ramp up after the "low carb flu" (which it did, nicely), but then after that first 30 days I began exercising. Right now I'm hula hooping and LOVE it. It's a real workout, but I don't even realize it. There's a lot of fun things you can do that don't seem like exercise -- bowling, hula hooping, belly dance class, power shopping! -- the main thing is just to move more than you used to.

Ah, onederland! You will get there, as long as you see this as a lifestyle change and not a diet. It's totally easy living this way, and pretty soon now you will come to see that our bodies were MEANT to live like this and that the way we eat is indeed the proper fuel for the human machine. Just keep on keepin' on.

Best,
    Ginger
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    welcome