Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IHOP Eggs and Celiacs page

countryman is offline Junior Member

IHOP Eggs and Celiacs

I just finished Mark's book and noticed he had logged eating an omlet at IHOP. I have Coeliac Disease (Gluten Intolerant) and discovered at IHOP they use wheat flour as a filler in their omlets and scrambled egg mix. If you want to avoid flour completely, you must order eggs fried. This can be the case with any given chain restaurant, especially fast food.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Oh, good grief! Is nothing safe? For a long time I stuck to eggs & burgers in restaurants, until I thought about breadcrumb filler, and now eggs go the same way? Cheap dolts!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

pangirl is offline Junior Member
    I always thought it was weird on the menu that they congratulate themselves for putting pancake batter in the egg dishes. Just grabbed this from their menu online: Made with a splash of our famous buttermilk and wheat pancake batter for extra fluffiness. Gnarly! But at least they aren't hiding it.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    The last time I was at IHOP, the menu stated that they add pancake batter to their omelets to make them fluffy. Err, ok... not having the omelet.

Also, in some cafeterias they use a processed egg product (liquid) which contains various vegetable oils as filler. Likely safe for Celiacs, but still not as good as a real egg.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I go to IHOP all the time, and they will upon request make omelets strictly from whole eggs and not the pre-prepared pancake batter mixture. To know for sure, you will notice that the omelets made with their batter mixture are a consistent yellow color throughout. Whole eggs are a lighter, white, marble color mix of the whites and yolks. Just ask, and they will do it for you. That is one fo the few places I can go and get a good Primal breakfast omelet that is big enough to fill me up.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    At least they state it on the menu. Someone awhile back posted that Olive Garden had a habit of boiling their veg in the pasta water. And they have a gluten free menu. You'd think they'd be sensitive to that.

strom is offline Senior Member
    THey have fantastic tilipia holandaise there. THe steak tips are sugary (worchester sauce I think) but good.

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I go to IHOP all the time, and they will upon request make omelets strictly from whole eggs and not the pre-prepared pancake batter mixture. To know for sure, you will notice that the omelets made with their batter mixture are a consistent yellow color throughout. Whole eggs are a lighter, white, marble color mix of the whites and yolks. Just ask, and they will do it for you. That is one fo the few places I can go and get a good Primal breakfast omelet that is big enough to fill me up.
    What he said. I also have asked at IHOP for them to make the omelet w/o pancake batter. They were totally fine with it.

Carrie

CATT49 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pangirl View Post
    I always thought it was weird on the menu that they congratulate themselves for putting pancake batter in the egg dishes. Just grabbed this from their menu online: Made with a splash of our famous buttermilk and wheat pancake batter for extra fluffiness. Gnarly! But at least they aren't hiding it.
    I too have asked for their omelets without the pancake batter and they are fine with it. Nowadays you have to read everything and ask questions in order to safeguard yourself.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    but they're not cooking those omelets in butter or bacon grease, are they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast