Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: Is rice ok?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    199

    Is rice ok?

    Shop Now
    Since there is NO long term studies done on high fat diets and no long term studies done on "real" carb diets, I think it's best of both worlds to incorporate both. In all of the studies, the participants weren't monitored 24/7....this means they could've lied and skewed the data. One thing common that all these diets mention to avoid is processed food (which includes simple sugars).

    Therefore, is it okay to eat 1 cup of brown rice for lunch and dinner?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,048
    It would be much wiser to choose sweet potatoes as a carb source, as they are far more nutrient-dense. If you prefer rice (or you're poor, like me ), choose white over brown. That way you don't get any of the nasty stuff (phytates, lectins, etc.).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    720
    Asians have a pancreas that's 50% bigger than everyone else's. They process rice a lot better for that reason. Hopefully, you're asian.

    And +1 on white vs brown unless you're going all WAPF on it.

    Gordo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    199
    I just don't understand how the people of Okinawa can eat large quantities of rice (I think it might be white rice) and do not have inflammation. These centurions also do not like sweets, maybe that is why they live long. Maybe there is certain types of grains that are bad like wheat while some that are good in moderation like rice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    western new york
    Posts
    1,112

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Asians have a pancreas that's 50% bigger than everyone else's. They process rice a lot better for that reason. Hopefully, you're asian.

    And +1 on white vs brown unless you're going all WAPF on it.

    Gordo
    That 50% larger pancrease thing isn't true.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by kurite View Post
    That 50% larger pancrease thing isn't true.
    Well, I'm pretty certain that I got it from Michael Pollan. I don't have the book here, though.

    Gordo

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by mwok86 View Post
    Since there is NO long term studies done on high fat diets and no long term studies done on "real" carb diets, I think it's best of both worlds to incorporate both. In all of the studies, the participants weren't monitored 24/7....this means they could've lied and skewed the data. One thing common that all these diets mention to avoid is processed food (which includes simple sugars).

    Therefore, is it okay to eat 1 cup of brown rice for lunch and dinner?
    How about you read the book and learn the science? In a nutshell: NO, RICE IS NOT OKAY. It's a GRAIN. Humans are NOT designed to eat grains. Clear enough?
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

    Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)


    Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

    My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by mwok86 View Post
    I just don't understand how the people of Okinawa can eat large quantities of rice (I think it might be white rice) and do not have inflammation. These centurions also do not like sweets, maybe that is why they live long. Maybe there is certain types of grains that are bad like wheat while some that are good in moderation like rice.
    They don't each much rice. They eat mostly tubers for starch. Two cups of rice a day is not low carb. WHITE rice is OK as part of a low carb diet, but you're not primal if you go over 150g carbs per day. You need to keep up your protein. You can have a small amount of carbs. The rest of your calorie requirements should be met from fats - monounsaturated or saturated with only the minimal unsaturated fats (you'll get enough of these anyhow). If you don't follow this you're not primal and wasting our time by asking if its OK

    Why are you here if you don't want to do this? You keep asking questions that say you don't believe. Fine, find another way
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

    Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    332
    Shop Now
    You can eat whatever you want, and think however you want to think, but rice is not one of the components of The Primal Blueprint. So if you think rice is fine and you want to eat it, perhaps try another eating plan like Perfect Health Diet, but not Primal Blueprint.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •