Thread: Kim Chi questions page

ennasirk is offline Senior Member

Kim Chi questions

Primal Fuel
    I'm trying to improve my digestion by adding fermented foods; I've seen some posts saying "Make your own kim chi because what you get at the store will not be fermented."

The question is, how can you tell (besides asking)? I bought some kim chi at the Korean grocery the other day in the section that has foods prepared in-store. They also had kim chi in the processed foods refrigerated section, but I imagine that's what would be more likely to be non-fermented.

I could ask next time I'm there but there's often a language barrier (which is one of the things I love about that market - it's definitely authentic!).

Also, should I expect "instant" results from kim chi or is it more of a gradual improvement of my gut functioning. I ask because after eating the store-prepared kim chi with Tuesday and Wednesday's dinner I had one of my more "happy" bathroom experiences Wednesday night. If it's the kim chi working that quickly, woo hoo, I'll buy more!
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    That could be the result of the inclusion of kimchi, but expect even more gradual improvement with time. One way you can tell if it's fermented is that it will have a "fizziness" to the cabbage. Also check to make sure it's not pasteurized (it should be labeled if it is). Good luck!

Free Range is offline Senior Member
    Look for words like non-pasteurized, naturally fermented, live cultures.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
    Also check to make sure it's not pasteurized (it should be labeled if it is).
    Quote Originally Posted by Free Range View Post
    Look for words like non-pasteurized, naturally fermented, live cultures.
    Thanks. The stuff in the store-prepared section has very little info, just the weight/price/contents (e.g., Napa Cabbage Kim Chi, spicy). label slapped on it by whoever put it in the deli container (e.g., Napa Cabbage Kim Chi, spicy). But I'll take a look at the containers in the other section next time I go there.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm half Korean, so I know my kimchi, LOL. If it is not "ready" i.e. not fermented enough, then you will taste raw cabbage. Just close it up, put a plastic bag around the jar and tie it tight, and leave it alone in the fridge for 2-4 more weeks. The perfect point will be when the kimchi has a piquant taste. After that perfect point, it will become more and more sour until you find it gross. Sour kimchi is still okay though. Cosmos is my preferred store-bought brand.

If your fridge is too cold, you can leave the kimchi in a dark, cooler place in your kitchen (in a cupboard) for a few days to jump-start the fermentation again.

Open it in the sink, as the fermentation can make the pressure in the jar strong so that it will leak out once opened.