Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arms and shoulders are "too big". page

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Arms and shoulders are "too big".

Shop Now
    Hey guys,

My shoulders and arms are bigger and not in proportion with my chest and back. I do not do any isolation or direct arm work (curls, tris pushdowns, etc).... i just do compound basics. Any suggestions.
    Thanks.

Arthur

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    By 'compound basics', do you mean press, bench, squat and deadlift? Doing those four regularly should ensure you develop at an relatively even rate. Also, how much are you lifting?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Squats, deadlifts, presses, power cleans.
    Pullups, dips, pushups, lunges, pistol squats.

I basically thought i was balancing everything... equal amounts of push, pull, squat. Maybe that's just how I am... hmmm.

I lift 2x , sprint 1x and do a yoga session 1x per week.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    weird cause my back is way ahead of my front for development, always has been. Some people just develop some stuff better than others, I've never had an issue with adductor strength or size, Al seems to have a disproportionate chest and he does tons of pullups.

sometimes it's just the cards you're dealt, if you don't have any strength imbalance issues then I wouldn't worry about it.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    Add bench press to your routine. It's the only non compound or non functional movement that I still do. And for that reason. I want to maintain some muscle on my chest. From your posted routine, other than pushups and dips, it doesn't look like you are working your chest very much. Pushups have never been known to bulk your chest up. I don't think dips will either.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Damn I wish I could help you but I’m perfectly symmetrical.

Just kidding, I wish I had your problem! My arms and shoulders are small and my chest/back are “normal” maybe we have skewed perceptions of ourselves.

Maybe a few weeks of higher rep work for the areas you’re hoping to grow on? However you need your arms/shoulders to work those areas so it could be just more of the same.

workinhard is offline Senior Member
    Pushups don't build your chest?

Anyone else find that comment a little weird? No offense, but pushups are one of the BEST exercises you can do, and they work the chest as one of the major muscle groups.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by workinhard View Post
    Pushups don't build your chest?

Anyone else find that comment a little weird? No offense, but pushups are one of the BEST exercises you can do, and they work the chest as one of the major muscle groups.
    He didn’t say you won’t get a workout, he’s saying you won’t bulk up with just push ups. It’s hard to find a way to do push ups with as much weight as you could move in a bench press. You could work towards planche push ups (feet in the air) but that’s a move that requires a ton of balance and shoulder strength. Most common strength aficionados need not worry with it. The Planche is one of my personal goals though.

For the record I only do push ups and dips for shoulders/chest, but then again I’m not concerned with chest growth.

I think we might have to chalk this one up to genetics. Maybe chest flys though? Like with rings or some type of suspension trainer to really open up the pecs?

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Bench press is a compound movement.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Pull ups are great for your back but they're also great for making your biceps bigger as well. Martin Berkhan of leangains claims that he doesn't do any arm work either and he biceps are huge. Martin credits pull ups (especially one arm ones) as the reason.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast