Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Autoimmune disease? This is my experiment... page

paleoforlupus is offline Junior Member

Autoimmune disease? This is my experiment...

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I have systemic lupus and have made it my priority to find a diet that will enable me to control my symptoms. I desperately want to get off my medications because, for the most part, the side effects are horrendous and more debilitating than my disease. I have tried every diet possible and so far the best was being vegan. I was vegan for 7 months and my symptoms diminished some but not entirely and I still had to stay on my med regime. I stumbled upon this primal lifestyle quite by accident because I was always looking for some sort of vegetarian diet as I've been told repeatedly how acidic animal products are to the body and therefore cause lots of inflammation in the body.

I found a video online of Doug McGuff giving a talk at a conference and he kept referring to Mark Sisson and gave medical evidence on why his "diet" works. I couldn't turn it off. So then I went on a research frenzy and read Art De Vany, Robb Wolf and Mark's books. I was utterly stupefied at what they were telling me and frustrated as well. How could this information be so elusive when, for so many years, I've needed it so badly? After all, I went vegan, carbs were my best friend and probably made up 90% of my diet! No wonder I was so lethargic and tired.

So I began my paleo/primal experiment 2 and half weeks ago. I am following Mark's plan to the letter and doing Primal Blueprint Fitness. After only 3 days I was almost completely symptom free and have not taken any corticosteroids in 2 and half weeks (still on one other lupus med)! I've had some isolated stiffness in my hands late at night but by morning the pain is gone. I have lost 6 pounds.

I am tracking my journey in a blog paleoforlupus. If this works I hope to share with many others suffering from lupus and RA and other autoimmune diseases.

I really can't believe the progress already, I'm so optimistic about the future!

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    Well done indeed, sounds like your on the right path now.
    cheers

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    This is so inspiring; thank you for sharing your story with us!

I'll be reading your blog & asking my mother to read it too. She has a form of myositis, which is another autoimmune disorder.

Thanks again, and hope you continue to heal!

Grizz is offline Banned
    PaleoLupus,

You are severely Vitamin D3 deficient. Lupus and other autoimmune diseases are caused by Vitamin D3 deficiency. You need to take 10,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 Geltabs.

See my Vitamin D3 Report below for details.

Grizz

@Grizz

I understand that you are only trying to help but to state that I can be cured simply by upping my vitamin D3 intake is almost laughable. I'm a stay at home mom of 2 little ones and basically spend all summer outside - roughly 3-4 hours a day, if not more. And I supplement 1000IU daily. My lupus is not seasonal. I am in just as much pain in the summer as the winter. If it's just about D3 shouldn't my symptoms disappear in the summer?

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations! I have one AI disorder that that stays in remission and something else that has never been diagnosed. Long story. Anyhow, number 1 I've found is you have to stay 100%, no cheats EVER, gluten free. For me, and this may help you as well, is to stay very low starch. I eat some sweet potato or squash every now and then, but no rice, grains, potatoes, corn at all. And you have to check ingredients and familiarize yourself with which additives are starches. Even things that most people don't have a problem with can cause problems in with AI. Then, eat enough veggies and fresh (preferably) herbs, which will help keep/get your gut flora healthy.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    paleoforlupus, it wouldn't hurt to get your Vitamin D levels tested, just to be sure. 1000 iu is a relatively low dose, and it's hard to tell how much you're absorbing from the sun without testing.

Mark Hyman, MD: Vitamin D: Why You Are Probably NOT Getting Enough and How That Makes You Sick

I am amazed at your progress so far in such a short time on PB, congratulations. I wish there was a scientist who would track these stories and document them. Just in the threads here there have been amazing reversals of diabetes, infertility, psychiatric issues, it's astounding and I can't understand why it's not front page news.

@aktres and grizz

Thank you for the information. I've been looking at the research online the past couple of hours and what you both are saying makes absolute sense and can only help not harm me. I don't think I even need to be tested, after being vegan for 7 months eating no fatty fish and being winter, I'm positive my levels are low, if not deplorable. I signed up to this forum for help, thank you again. I've ordered D3 supplements and I'll get them on Saturday. I hope they help!

@Aktres - I'm also amazed at my progress - I've been in a flare for 2 years and 4 months and in 2 and a half weeks I'm almost pain free?! It blows my mind, I only hope this progresses so I can get off the rest of my medication.

miss_annie is offline Member
    Hi,

I have rheumatoid arthritis and went primal recently after an exposure to mold triggered long-dormant pain. I'm already experiencing better health.

Anave is offline Member
    This is inspiring! I also have an autoimmune condition (Hashimotos hypothyroid), and I'm hoping that going primal will make a noticable difference with that. I actually have my yearly checkup tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to talking about my new diet with my doctor. Fortunately for me, my doc isn't the conventional wisdom type and I think he'll be very pleased and supportive of the changes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast