Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Livers? page

Laura B is online now Member

Chicken Livers?

Shop Now
    Good morning all! I would like to try chicken livers (my non-primal boyfriend likes them so I decided what the heck!) I can find them at an international supermarket in our area, but was wondering would they be safe to eat? I will be breading them in a almond coating and frying them in coconut oil. Thank you

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    They are safe to eat and delicious! Just don't overcook them or they will be dry and mealy. I get them whenever they go on sale.

Yeah, it's preferable to get all meats from pastured animals, but I think liver is so nutritious that it will do you more good than harm. I also think that factory-farmed meat is not as "toxic" as some people make it out to be. I buy local and grassfed when I can, but it's not always feasible.

See this: Primal Wisdom: A Practically Primal Perspective on Conventional Beef, Part 1: Hormones

Laura B is online now Member
    Thank you for the info, I will put them on my shopping list!

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    I like them simply tossed in black pepper and dry herbs to coat, then blackened outside in a skillet while retaining the silkiness inside. dust with salt and you're ready!
    Little Saiyan

darkersolace is offline Senior Member
    It's also hard for me to find chicken livers from organic/hormone-free/pastured chickens, so when my Whole Foods does have them I buy 5 or 6 and freeze them. Right now all I have are conventionally-raised livers, but they're still delicious.

Chicken liver pate is good enough to eat by itself with a spoon!
    5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

kcult is offline Senior Member
    I have a plate of hearts and gizzards in front of me right now. Livers would be a great addition.

Ah my Whole Foods almost ALWAYS has pasture-roaming chicken's livers.. and they are cheeeap!
    Little Saiyan

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    Ah my Whole Foods almost ALWAYS has pasture-roaming chicken's livers.. and they are cheeeap!
    Oh now THAT is news I can use! /sprints out the door

LOL! Forge a good relationship with your Whole Foods meat counter (and fish counter)-- they'll set aside all kinds of things for you or they might have something 'in back' that is usually unsellable to the poor unknowing masses!
    Little Saiyan

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My local organic chicken farm bags up the livers for the few of us who do eat chicken / duck livers - a great bagful for 1.50. Which I then bag up in 1lb bags and freeze for making the most lovely pates.

Fresh, I love them fried in butter. Or fry an onion until soft in plenty of butter, add teaspoon caraway seed, teaspoon smoked paprika, add 1lb chicken livers, cook briefly until firm and add small pot of sour cream. This is my idea of food heaven!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast