Thread: Endurance nutrition page

scotty500 is offline Junior Member

Endurance nutrition

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone out there have any advice on pre race and during race nutrition for triathlons?
    I have plenty of energy for training and have been primal for a few months now. Do I need to carb load before a race and will I need sugary gels or bars during race.
    Any help will be appreciated.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    larabars.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    it depends on the length of the triathlon. for a sprint you can probably have a sweet potato the night before, and a banana before the race and have more than enough energy to last you. you might need more for the longer races, but you'll be able to determine your needs through your training.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    If you're serious about winning, train low-carb and then follow the CW carb-loading/fueling strategy. Just try to use primal foods instead of crap.

Gordo

scotty500 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replys, I love Larabars but haven't even looked at things like that lately because most bars are full of oats and bad sugars. I was trying to think of ways to carry bite sized portions of almond butter on the bike leg but I fear getting in a gooey mess!! Sweet potatoes, banana and Larabars it is.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    for long bike rides, i just can't say enough about pemmican. Yeah it gets kinda gross from being in a warm jersey pocket, but i think it's the best long distance fuel. I've eaten it on long "epic" rides & long (+3 hr) events. No stomach upset whatsoever & i could never say that about Hammer's Perpetuem or Sustained Energy.

for short cross country off road bike races, i'm still just using a couple of gels & plain old agua.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    now that i think about it, i guess i am doing a kind of "carbo" load b/c i always have at least 1/2 sweet potato with chicken or steak "race eve" before a cross country race (usu about 1.5 hrs long).

interested to hear what others are doing.

Pensguys is offline Junior Member
    I run HMs and fulls (just did full #2 on Sunday). One of my online friends is Paleo and she competes in Ironmans...and does WELL; she has been helping me with my race/training nutrition. We use sweet potatoes/yams two days before a race...just small amount at each meal. Morning of sweet pot with a "shake" comprised of cooled green tea, almond butter, banana, (she puts flax seed meal), egg white protein powder. We both use gels by Powerbar (double latte and vanilla only). I've increased my times from HM to HM as well as Full to Full. Her website is Paleo Nutrition & Finess

banzivari is offline Junior Member
    Nice post but unhappy to find some spammer replying badly on the post
    so sad

Pensguys is offline Junior Member
    Who/where's a spammer?