Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st time sauerkraut. page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

1st time sauerkraut.

My first time making sauerkraut! I am worried that I made it too salty though?

It consists of 1.5 head of white cabbage, sliced up, 2 carrots, grated, 2 tablespoons Maldon salt, 2 teaspoons carraway seed and 12 juniper berries.

The cabbage tasted salty but nice - and it took a couple of hours for the plate to be submerged. I covered the crock with a plastic carrier bag, held in place with a large elastic band. This morning, it looks fine - more brine than there was - and smells lovely. Sort of juniper-y, and slightly sharp. Thankfully, no sign of "mould" or "bloom", which is what I was afraid of - and why there is probably too much salt.

My question - if it IS too salt - will it still ferment? Or will I end up with brined cabbage??!

TrPAssasin is offline Member
    2 tablespoons should be fine. If there is too much salt just for out some brine and replace with water. You'd have to have WAY more salt to stop the fermentation completely.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    After a few weeks of fermentation the sourness will completely overtake the saltiness and it'll taste amazing! 2 Tbs is definitely not too much for 1.5 heads and other goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
    After a few weeks of fermentation the sourness will completely overtake the saltiness and it'll taste amazing! 2 Tbs is definitely not too much for 1.5 heads and other goodies.
    A few weeks? I wasn't sure how long it would take to be ready - I googled making sauerkraut and there were just so many variations; from three days upwards! I was planning on trying it after a week but if longer will make it better - I'll try to be patient! I'm after as much probiotic effect as I can reasonably get from it!

Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I'm after as much probiotic effect as I can reasonably get from it!
    It depends on the temperature you're fermenting it at. If it's around 60F then I say shoot for three weeks. 70F - two weeks. I've found that after that amount of time it doesn't sour any further. That's not saying that you can't grab a few servings out before it's fully soured (I know I do ). Just make sure to be proactive in skimming off the mold (if any) that develops on the surface each day.

FYI, all of this information is based on personal experimentation with 15+ batches and lots of research. Let me know how it goes!
    Last edited by Funkadelic Flash; 03-24-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Is it possible that we can have a sauerkraut thread on here and not give Rivven flak about the pork and kraut incident? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Is it possible that we can have a sauerkraut thread on here and not give Rivven flak about the pork and kraut incident? I think not.
    Dammit, D! We were doing good until you showed up...

It depends on the temperature you're fermenting it at. If it's around 60F then I say shoot for three weeks. 70F - two weeks. I've found that after that amount of time is doesn't sour any further. That's not saying that you can't grab a few servings out before it's fully soured (I know I do ). Just make sure to be proactive in skimming off the mold (if any) that develops on the surface each day.

FYI, all of this information is based on personal experimentation with 15+ batches and lots of research. Let me know how it goes!
    As yet, no mould ... no floaty bits on the brine either so I might be lucky. I'll check it daily though to see that it is OK and move any if it does develop.

I think I'll start tasting after the 1st week so I can see at what stage of sourness I like it best and then I'll know the put it in the fridge at that stage.

I'm planning on putting it in a few small jars, and using any left over brine to start the 2cnd lot off. Thanks, Funkadelic, for your input!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Dammit, D! We were doing good until you showed up...
    Someone had to do it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We have little bubbles! No mould, thankfully - but a ring of little bubbles around the edge of the crock, odd little patches of bubbles and a definite aroma - not really pleasant, but not "off"! So presumably, fermentation has begun - I shall watch this with great interest!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast