Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Where does bodyfat percentage usually fall on Primal?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    149

    Where does bodyfat percentage usually fall on Primal?

    I realize this can vary a lot but for males when one is strict primal and reaches what bf % the body is comfortable with what is the general %? In other words if I was strict primal with no exercise what bf% about would I end up at?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,291
    Well, it depends on what *your* body is comfortable with. A lot of it depends on how your hormones do/don't work. Guys like Stevo and Bane are less than 10% and they seem to do ok with it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Adelaide , Australia
    Posts
    158
    I think just by eating Primal you jump one category on this chart
    Body Fat Chart
    I used the calculator and got 8% and I by no means am an athlete , I work out , but not excessively and so would have put myself in the fitness category ..

  4. #4
    I started off at 38% body fat. 2 years later, I'm at 10%.

    My body doesn't feel comfortable dropping below that. I have dropped to 8% before and it involved not stuffing my face every time I eat and I ain't willing to do that for the rest of my life.

    So 10% it is.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,591
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    I started off at 38% body fat. 2 years later, I'm at 10%.
    Tell me about going from about 15% down to 10%. Was it smooth sailing? Did you have to change anything you were doing?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Tell me about going from about 15% down to 10%. Was it smooth sailing? Did you have to change anything you were doing?
    I did it by cutting out cookies, candy, chips, and sugary beverages. Har. Then I went primal and dropped down into the 5% range before I realized what was happening. It's been a real PITA to put a little fat back on my poor frame eating primally. Yes, I routinely eat fat+carbs. So I guess the bottom line is YMMV. Along with your genes. The only real hard-and-fast rule is that no one is ever happy with where they are. LOL

    Gordo

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    The only real hard-and-fast rule is that no one is ever happy with where they are. LOL Gordo
    That is SO true. When I was in my 20's, I thought my body could be leaner. Now 10+ years later, when I see videos and photos from back then I think, "Why wasn't I happy with that body?"
    I eat healthier now, don't run/jog (which I did for about 15 years even thought I loathed it,) walk lots, do resistance training, some yoga, ballet-type workouts, etc. I know I should be happy with the way I look, and the Mr. is always complimenting me . . . but that little voice inside is always bugging me, "Can't you get the body fat down some more?"
    We're never happy with what we have. I'm trying to get there, but it's an on-going process.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Tell me about going from about 15% down to 10%. Was it smooth sailing? Did you have to change anything you were doing?
    By the time I reached 15% body fat, I was getting pretty physically fit. Up til then, I was doing exclusively body weight exercises. It was getting to a stage where 300 pushups, 100 pullups and running 5k after that in 1 workout was starting to feel pretty easy.

    So I started to go to the gym to lift weights and sprint once a week. That's when 15% rapidly became 10%, DESPITE the fact that the lifting compelled me to eat A LOT more. I started to really pack on muscle and my skin started to look "thinner", if you know what mean. Veins started to pop on my quads and deltoids, and striations on my legs, delts and forearms became really obvious even when I'm just doing everyday things like brushing my teeth or lifting my lap top (friends began to notice and tell me).

    In the gym, all I do are deadlifts (4-6 reps/set x 5), squats (12-20 reps/set x8), standing military press (4-6 reps/set x8), inclined bench press (4-6 reps/set x8). Outside the gym, I maintain high volume pullups, dips and push ups on days I'm not in the gym. Sprints are once a week of 8 sets of max effort with however long I need to rest to catch my breath in between the sprints. I'm usually done in less than 1/2 hour.

    Also at about that time, I made a conscious effort to get as much sun as I can. When I workout outside the gym, it's always at the beach with my shirt off to maximize sun exposure.

    So basically, a huge bump in exercise intensity + a lot more sun + a lot more food brought me from 15% to 10% in a matter of around 3 months.

    Honestly, the best part for me is the food. For me, I feel extremely satisfied to be able to eat like a pig (a low carb primal pig) every single day, and have people think I'm literally 20 years younger than my actual age.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    In the gym, all I do are deadlifts (4-6 reps/set x 5), squats (12-20 reps/set x8), standing military press (4-6 reps/set x8), inclined bench press (4-6 reps/set x8). Outside the gym, I maintain high volume pullups, dips and push ups on days I'm not in the gym. Sprints are once a week of 8 sets of max effort with however long I need to rest to catch my breath in between the sprints. I'm usually done in less than 1/2 hour.
    That's "all" you do, eh? In fact...that's a lot by anyone's standards. Help me out here...you work out pretty much every day? Also, what exactly is your age? Becuase if this 58-year-old "ate like a pig every single day" I'd soon LOOK like pig.

    In other words, I would hazard to say that your results are not typical, and that the 'average' person would either gain a ton of weight (i.e. fat) and/or experience burnout given your eating and exercise regimen.

    I am envious, however. Must be nice.
    Last edited by JimS; 03-24-2011 at 02:44 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    That's "all" you do, eh? In fact...that's a lot by anyone's standards. Help me out here...you work out pretty much every day? Also, what exactly is your age? Becuase if this 58-year-old "ate like a pig every single day" I'd soon LOOK like pig.

    In other words, I would hazard to say that your results are not typical, and that the 'average' person would either gain a ton of weight (i.e. fat) and/or experience burnout given your eating and exercise regimen.

    I am envious, however. Must be nice.
    Jim, you are correct. Most internet communication like this rarely considers individual differences. There are a very few people who can eat a lot and compensate naturally with energy expenditure of multiple mechanisms. Most of us aren't blessed like this. (This is not to say that those few with the natural tendency to compensate have it easy, but the rest of us must put forth a lot more focus and work -- whether we eat Paleo or not.)

    Best,
    Johnny

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •